PDA

View Full Version : LC Gray Pad vs Green

Pages : [1] 2

spectre03cobra
08-02-2009, 01:36 PM
Which pad is better for a final polish with P085rd? They are both called finishing pads. Does one produce more gloss than the other?

Bert
08-02-2009, 04:31 PM
The Grey pad is softer and had less cut, it should finish better most of the time. A blue or red pad would finish even better.

Accumulator
08-03-2009, 09:48 AM
The Grey pad is softer and had less cut, it should finish better most of the time. A blue or red pad would finish even better.

Maybe ;)

[Insert my usual "hmmm...I dunno..." :think: comments regarding all these newfangled finishing pads..]

Autogeek
08-03-2009, 10:01 AM
I`d go with gray.

spectre03cobra
08-03-2009, 05:52 PM
Yeah, there are way too many color pads to keep up with. I had a couple green pads and used them but was wondering if another pad would make the paint look even better. I didn`t know of a blue or white pad would even do anything since they don`t really "cut".

wannafbody
08-03-2009, 10:15 PM
The specs on some of those pads are pretty close. The smaller pore pads theoretically should finish out better. It seems to me that I generally have better results from a Megs yellow than a Megs tan when using a PC. If using a rotary the softest pad generally works best for finishing.

scary bill
08-04-2009, 02:05 AM
Well, it really depends on a lot f things. Paint, polish, technique, etc.

You could try a panel or two with a gray pad. Do a IPA wipe down and see if there is a difference. If it looks better to you, then maybe it is worth the time to repolish the whole car.

DM101
08-04-2009, 07:54 AM
It depends on how much correction you want to do. Gray for more correction, blue, red for finishing.

spectre03cobra
08-10-2009, 09:37 PM
Well, I`ve gone over the car once with a green pad and P085rd. I think it could still look better, so I`ll try a blue pad since I have a bunch of those! Thanks for everyone`s input!

scary bill
08-11-2009, 01:17 AM
Well, I`ve gone over the car once with a green pad and P085rd. I think it could still look better, so I`ll try a blue pad since I have a bunch of those! Thanks for everyone`s input!

Just remember to work the polish well. The soft no-cut pads break the polish down much more slowly. The really soft polishing won`t remove marring you can see well, only microscopic marring. It will make the finish look clearer and wetter. :waxing:

Accumulator
08-11-2009, 11:02 AM
Well, I`ve gone over the car once with a green pad and P085rd. I think it could still look better, so I`ll try a blue pad ..

I`ll be interested to hear how that works out. I think *I* would try switching to FPII myself as I somehow suspect you`re running into the limits of the *polish* more than being limited by how the pad works the polish.

But hey, I`m just thinking out loud and I don`t even know from Menzerna, so :nixweiss

Post back, inquiring minds want to know :D

spectre03cobra
08-16-2009, 03:32 PM
Ok, i`ll probably go over a small area and I`ll let you know if it`s worth it. I`m probably being too picky! I`ve had the car up in the air installing my subframe connectors or I`d have done it sooner.

scary bill
08-16-2009, 03:42 PM
Ok, i`ll probably go over a small area and I`ll let you know if it`s worth it. I`m probably being too picky! I`ve had the car up in the air installing my subframe connectors or I`d have done it sooner.

Start with a small area and inspect really well, make sure your not making something worse off. I haven`t used 85rd, so I can`t comment how it will break down with a blue pad and a PC.

IME, sometimes doing to small of an area makes it hard to tell if there is a noticeable difference-better or worse. I would do a whole fender or door or half of the hood.

Inspect in diffent lighting. When I jewel polished my Lightning, the first area didn`t look night/day different. As I got a larger area done it was more obvious as to what I had accomplishes.

Good luck on the s/f connectors, I only enjoy mechanical work when I am making something better than new. I hate just fixing broken cars.

Bunky
08-16-2009, 05:01 PM
[QUOTE=scary bill;1299016 I haven`t used 85rd, so I can`t comment how it will break down with a blue pad and a PC.

[/QUOTE]

When I used 85RD with a UDM / black pad, it had very long work time (4+ min). I have read others claiming 7-9 min.

wannafbody
08-16-2009, 07:29 PM
I agree I`d use a traditional diminishing polish such As FP2 or Ultrfina with an ultrasoft finishing pad.