PDA

View Full Version : Swirl marks after scratch removal question

stu-e-boy
08-02-2009, 01:06 PM
Hi, I spent 2 hours using a machine polisher to remove some deep scratches from a 2004 Mercedes SL bootlid using Meguiars Ultimate Compound, and under the garage lights the results were fantastic. However when I pulled the car out into the sunlight today the boot is covered with swirlmarks. HELP! I can`t understand this as I was so careful using a super soft sponge head and very little pressure while working. Can anyone suggest a product to help me remove them, I have Meguiars Swirl X, is this any good,

any thoughts or tips are much appreciated,

Stuart.

AeroCleanse
08-02-2009, 01:37 PM
You have to polish after compounding.

stu-e-boy
08-02-2009, 02:04 PM
Thanks, is it best to use the machine polisher with the waffle style grey foam pad, or do it by hand. I usually use Meguiars polish, or should I look at another product, ie. Autoglym etc.

Best regards.

Dan
08-02-2009, 08:09 PM
Which machine polisher and which pad?

Lou K
08-03-2009, 09:49 AM
Hi, I spent 2 hours using a machine polisher to remove some deep scratches from a 2004 Mercedes SL bootlid using Meguiars Ultimate Compound, and under the garage lights the results were fantastic. However when I pulled the car out into the sunlight today the boot is covered with swirlmarks. HELP! I can`t understand this as I was so careful using a super soft sponge head and very little pressure while working. Can anyone suggest a product to help me remove them, I have Meguiars Swirl X, is this any good,

any thoughts or tips are much appreciated,

Stuart.

I have a few Mercedes with the ceramiclear clear coat like the 2004 SL. What I have found to be the best are the Menzerna polishes. Depending on the severity of the scratches either use Power Gloss, Super Intensive polish and finally 106ff. Other products are not as effective on the hard clear coat that MB uses.

Accumulator
08-03-2009, 10:20 AM
Thanks, is it best to use the machine polisher with the waffle style grey foam pad, or do it by hand. I usually use Meguiars polish, or should I look at another product, ie. Autoglym etc.

Best regards.

Welcome to Autopia!

I like using the M105/M205 twins on hard clear, the products you have are similar.

If the Swirl-X isn`t potent enough, try Scratch-X v2.0 or M205. What you need will depend not only on the hardness of the paint but also on the severity of the compounding marks (a big variable).

If you were referring to autoglym SRP, I wouldn`t use that until all the flaws are corrected. It`ll hide them and they`ll come back to haunt you.

Note that better inspection lighting will help avoid surprises in sunlight.

stu-e-boy
08-04-2009, 01:12 PM
Thanks for your replies, much appreciated, I spent 11 hours getting the whole car perfect today, in sunlight it was more holograms and excess product residue on the boot, thank goodness. I used some 3m Finesse it applied by hand and it did the trick.