PDA

View Full Version : How to wash recently dressed Tires?

shadow85
08-01-2009, 05:09 PM
Normally I would do an ONR with a Tire brush to clean the tires. I read people get 2-3weeks, even a month durability out of tire dressing.

So what is the correct way to wash it to keep the dressing going? Is the ONR with Tire brush too aggressive and take it off?

RTexasF
08-01-2009, 05:13 PM
If you wash & clean a tire well expect no previous application to survive. That is why you are washing it with a brush and scrubbing it. Once dry, a new coat of what ever dressing you use should be applied.

Bigpoppa3346
08-01-2009, 05:34 PM
On my car that I don`t drive more than ~75 miles a week, I can get away with scrubbing with car wash shampoo and dressing every other wash, and they stay nice. Rarely do I have to use a tire cleaner on them. When I wash the car and don`t dress the tires, I scrub them with with my usual car wash shampoo and once dried, they still look nice and black. The dressing seems to build up over time, keeping them looking fresh without having to constantly reapply.

On cars that see heavy use, I have to use a tire cleaner and dress at every wash to keep them looking nice.

Setec Astronomy
08-01-2009, 09:39 PM
Normally I would do an ONR with a Tire brush to clean the tires. I read people get 2-3weeks, even a month durability out of tire dressing.

Er...I think that people who say they get 2-3 weeks generally mean without washing. As was said, if I wash my tires...99% of the time I`m going to re-dress them. If for some reason I`m washing the car when the tire dressing is still fresh, I don`t scrub the tires.

scary bill
08-02-2009, 12:17 AM
If my tires aren`t real bad, then I spray them with ONR and wipe them off with an old towel. If that isn`t enough then I would have to use apc first, then redress.

My wheels and tired don`t seem to get dirty from normal use within a week. I don`t drive real far either though.

shadow85
08-02-2009, 08:38 AM
Thanks everyone for clarifying.

Accumulator
08-02-2009, 10:04 AM
My standards for this might be well below "Autopian-level" but I get a few washes between redos with Z16. I sure don`t redress them after every wash, probably every four or five washes, and I let things get pretty dirty between washes too. I usually don`t redoress them until the front tires start looking obviously different from the rears.

ONR hardly even cleans off the brake dust, let along the dressing too. I often think my drying towel gets more off than the ONR/sponge did.

Ditto for shampoo mix.

Diluted Griot`s Wheel Cleaner and (also diluted) Griot`s Rubber Cleaner seem to get them fairly clean without stripping the Z16 all that much.

Most washes I use diluted Rubber Cleaner with a tire brush, really soft tires like on the S8 reguire the use of a sponge instead anyhow and that`s probably a better choice for gentle cleaning.

Setec Astronomy
08-02-2009, 11:48 AM
Well, a lot of this depends on the tires and the dressing, brakd pads, etc. Z-16 on certain tires I can see holding up thru a wash without having to be redone.

Accumulator
08-02-2009, 11:51 AM
Is it *unusual* for Z16 to last through a wash (or several?). What about other "long life" dressings like the Meg`s Endurance (yuck, I just use it on service loaner details)?

Setec Astronomy
08-02-2009, 12:15 PM
Heck, I dunno. In my pre-Autopian and early-Autopian days I used the Armor All Detailer`s Choice spray...which wouldn`t last thru a wash or a rain, whichever came first. Then I bought a bazillion products, but I never bought Zaino because of the zealotry of all those guys who went to DClub. Then my mother bought a new car that I thought I should take care of, but wasn`t going to be able to do it regularly, so I took the Zaino plunge for that, and that`s the only car I use Zaino on, so far. The Z-16 seems to have a fantastic life on her Goodyears, but it could just be the tires, driving habits, etc. FWIW I have the original Z-16, not the newer, thicker version. I don`t use the greasy-kid-stuff dressings simply because I don`t like the mess.

Maybe I don`t get the tires clean enough, maybe it`s the tires/weather/brakes/driving habits/washing frequency, but the other dressings I have used don`t seem to hold up well enough to not be reapplied after a wash.

brwill2005
08-02-2009, 12:35 PM
I would say the best solution is a damp MF. It will remove the dust and dirt, but should not remove all the dressing.