PDA

View Full Version : Question about removing dust

yOyOYoo
07-31-2009, 07:18 PM
So my new black car gets a thin coating of dust every single day, since I park the car at my work and it is in an open uncovered spot.

Is it safe to use the California Car Duster on the side panels of my car? I`ve read that the CCD should be only very lightly brushed on the surface of the car, gently, almost "tickling" the surface of the paint. I can do this with the top of my car, hood, and trunk, but for the sides of the vehicle, I may need to put some pressure so the hairs can come into contact with the car.

Is this okay?

Is it better to CCD dust the car before using a quick detail such as Meguir`s Ultimate Quick Detail? Or is it safe to just use the UQD to remove the dust with a microfiber?

Thanks in advance, kind of regret buying a black car!!!

Dan
07-31-2009, 07:50 PM
Anytime you drag dry dirt over the surface of the car, you are going to scratch it, its as simple as that. The california duster may be fine for household dust, but it sure is not fine for dirt, which is what you have on your paint.

Use ONR wash every few days. With black cars, you just have to breathe deep and let some stuff go. If you want your car to look perfect everyday, its time to buy a silver car.

yOyOYoo
07-31-2009, 08:00 PM
when using ONR, do you pre-spray the car? or do you just use the mitt soaked in the ONR?

Just ordered it last week, should be coming in early next week!

Dan
07-31-2009, 08:05 PM
when using ONR, do you pre-spray the car? or do you just use the mitt soaked in the ONR?

Just ordered it last week, should be coming in early next week!

I do pre-spray, I have a garden sprayer and keep it full of ONR.

Daniel3507
07-31-2009, 08:20 PM
i get that layer of dust all the time in my garage. most annoying thing ever

LQ9SS
07-31-2009, 09:28 PM
IMO, yes it will scratch. My truck gets washed whenever the dust bothers me.

jimmie jam
08-01-2009, 09:38 AM
black is not a color....it is a part time job.:grrr

Striker
08-01-2009, 09:45 AM
Having a black car myself, I can tell you that it does get very annoying. What I usually do, since its not my DD, doesnt see the freeway or rain(EVER) I grab a nice clean plush MF towel and my quick detailer and go to town. So far i`ve had a lot of good luck removing dust and light road dirt from the paint. My car does have multiple coats of protection tho.

steve330
08-01-2009, 10:40 AM
I have to disagree. In between washes and waxes, every couple of days I use my California duster (with the lightest of strokes), before using QS. I haven`t seen a scratch from this in 6 months of use. Just my experience.

yOyOYoo
08-01-2009, 11:27 AM
I have to disagree. In between washes and waxes, every couple of days I use my California duster (with the lightest of strokes), before using QS. I haven`t seen a scratch from this in 6 months of use. Just my experience.

What is QS?

I just want to make sure if it is okay to spray down an area of dust with a product like Meguiar`s Ultimate Quick Detail then run some microfiber over the dust. Will this scratch my car??

steve330
08-01-2009, 01:16 PM
Sorry, typo - I meant QD - Quick detailer!

I use Meguiars Nxt generation detaiing spray.

Using the California brush (as directed in the instructions) and the QD and a microfibre cloth works a treat for me.

Furd
08-01-2009, 01:37 PM
I think that you`re going to get three responses:

1) I use the California duster with good results.

2) The California duster will scratch your paint. Use a good QD.

3) The California duster and using a QD will scratch your paint. Live with the dust until you can properly wash your car.

I never had any problems with the duster or a QD. However, since I started using ONR, I don`t use the duster and I save the QD for bird bombs and the like.