PDA

View Full Version : I just bought some `Clay Magic` detailing clay. And; I have a question..

AGR
11-19-2005, 03:09 PM
I washed my Frontier on Thursday afternoon. Then; I immediately garaged it. But; I went out again this morning. Clear day, etc... But; since, I was on the road, do you think I should re-wash the Frontier before using the Clay?

Thanks!!

budman3
11-19-2005, 03:15 PM
I would just hit up the paint with some QD if there is dust on it. If there is dirt S&W will do and if theres more then you`re going to need to wash.

GregCavi
11-19-2005, 03:21 PM
The above is correct. IF there just very light dust from sitting you could use the QD that comes with the kit, if you got the kit. other wise like stated above any qd for light light dust, S+W for a little more dust and more than that wash.

Greg

Brenton
11-19-2005, 03:22 PM
Yeah, Quick Detail or Spray n Wash it. The dust won`t make a good lube.
Let us know how the Claymagic works.

AGR
11-19-2005, 03:29 PM
Wow!! Thanks for the quick responses, guys! I have a buddy, that is actually a member of this forum; EBPcivicsi, that lives about 7 miles from me. But; I have not been able to track him down since I got my new truck! He does this stuff for a living. :yes: When you see him, if I don`t see him first, tell him Greg said, Hi!!

So; do you guys typically wash following the clay bar treatment? Or; just go straight to the wax?

Also; would you recommend applying a polish first, and then the Meguiar`s #26 Yellow Wax (the first wax, I`m going to use), or just the wax?

Thanks!!

Brenton
11-19-2005, 03:33 PM
I`m not a Meguiar`s guy (except for NXT Tech Wax), but as a general comment:
-if I`m going to polish, I don`t was after clay
-if I`m just following with a pure sealant or wax without cleaning properties, I use a paint cleaner/wax & silicone remover from DuPont, Tumbler, etc. It is a body shop product that helps get rid of strange drippy looking stains from some clay jobs that you see under flourescent lights
Just be careful to clay small areas and wipe with a clean microfibre towel folded several ways to avoid drips and spots.
b

AGR
11-19-2005, 03:57 PM
Thanks! I am thinking, I will get some Poor Boys next. But; I wanted to get some wax on it now before winter, and this was on the store shelves. I still have some Meguiar`s Gold Class from before. But; after hearing about the #26, and seeing the finish on a red Lighting, I thought, I would give it a try.

Since; it is 65 degrees, would you wash a car in the sun to get it ready for the Clay Bar? It is something, I typically always avoid - summer or winter. But; the earlier cloud cover is gone, and I don`t want to take it into town (spending another $3.00) at the bay wash***! Ha!!

I was thinking, I could do a quick wash (then bring it into the garage) - just to be on the safe side, before claying.

*** When I go to a bay wash, I bring a couple of my own buckets with water in gallon jugs, and my car wash. Plus; my wash mit, California Blade, MF towels, and few terry towels. I use only the low pressure, too. I usually clean my wheels at the house. Then; when I get home, I finish up. :beer:

Brenton
11-19-2005, 04:14 PM
Sounds like you are on the right track.
If you have products you like, use them before buying a whole bunch. I`ve got PB`s EX, EX-P, Polish w Carnauba, and Natty`s. I`ve got The Treatment, Prestone, Mother`s, Turtle Wax, Meg`s, Farecla, Ducan, and Pinnacle Souveran. Souveran is the best, but Natty`s Blue is close. Ducan is the worst, but Turtle Wax is close. Even from the worst to the best, the difference is durability, but shine is only something pros and ocd folk notice.
If you want to use up product, layer, rinse & repeat, or apply wax with every wash. You`ll love the shine, you`ll get great protection even with the worst products, and you`ll get closer to the point where you can order more! ;)

AGR
11-19-2005, 04:20 PM
Giddy Up! It`s easy to accumulate a bunch of different products!

So; what do you think? Would you do a light wash in sunny 65 degree weather?

Otherwise; I will probably get up early, and do the wash in the morning when it`s in the low 40s ;).

Here`s a picture a couple of years back of me and EBPcivicsi. The black MazdaSpeed was mine.
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b3d631b3127cce9eaeb007ece900000016108AZtmbZq0aMw

Brenton
11-19-2005, 05:18 PM
When I have to wash in the sun, I have a friend hold the hose to keep the car wet, and wash a panel at a time.
What is 65, about 19degrees? 18? That`s pretty warm, but you should be able to keep up.
Nice cars.

AGR
11-19-2005, 05:26 PM
When I have to wash in the sun, I have a friend hold the hose to keep the car wet, and wash a panel at a time.
What is 65, about 19degrees? 18? That`s pretty warm, but you should be able to keep up.
Nice cars.

All is good! We got some cloud cover. :yes: It`s washed, and now in the garage. Tomorrow morning, I Clay Bar.

And; thanks, regarding the cars. He now has orange/red Roto wheels on the Civic. `Looks real good, too!

Appreciate your help!