PDA

View Full Version : PFW Wash or not to Wash

maxepr1
07-30-2009, 06:11 PM
Just got some PFW to use with my Flex. Should I wash them in the WM before using or not. Will washing them cut down on the linting? Thanks guy`s

Accumulator
07-31-2009, 10:04 AM
How`s this for an answer: I don`t know!

Whenever I`ve washed mine they seem to end up worse off for it, less "foamed" if you will. But then I`ve only washed them after considerable use too.

I`d get somebody`s definite "it`s OK" before you do it.

maxepr1
07-31-2009, 10:30 AM
Thanks Accumulator, I thought I would pose the question. I have seen regular wool pads not washed and it seems like they make an alot of lint! More lint than compound dust!! So I take it you just take yours out of the bag and right to the backing plate they go? So how are you cleaning after use? Thanks

Accumulator
07-31-2009, 10:39 AM
So I take it you just take yours out of the bag and right to the backing plate they go?

Yep. Well, I wipe any loose fibers off with my fingers but that`s it.

So how are you cleaning after use?

Actually, I`m not cleaning them at all recently. I use `em until they`re pretty much trashed and then toss them. I treat them like disposable pads, but note that I don`t use them all that often, only on the infrequent big, nasty jobs.

Bert
07-31-2009, 10:46 AM
Accum, you not the first person I have seen post that PFW are not the same after their first use and washing. I guess once mine are used up I will take David Fermani`s advice and switch over to the Black Foamed Wool Pads he orders from a company I think call Micro Surface??? They seem to be much more durable and cheaper also.

SuperBee364
07-31-2009, 04:35 PM
I take them right out of the plastic bag, put them on the rotary, spur them, and use them. Obviously you can`t spur them if you`re gonna use them on a DA, but you could at least brush them.

I think brand new PFW`s perform better (particularly, they leave a better finish) when they are brand new and haven`t gotten wet. PFW`s still *work* after they are wet/dried, but never as well as when they`re new from a bag. I`ve tested this *extensively* on soft black paint, and I can tell you without a doubt, it`s true: new PFW`s *will* finish better than ones that have been wet and dried.

Darkstar752
07-31-2009, 04:42 PM
I just wait till the polish dries and then brush everything I can off until it`s clean. I tried washing them once, didn`t work that well. Still finishes down very nicely.

maxepr1
07-31-2009, 06:57 PM
Whats the difference between black wool and PFW??