PDA

View Full Version : Buying a PGM

Pages : [1] 2

GS4_Fiend
07-27-2009, 05:30 PM
Which Paint Gauge Meter do you guys recommend?

How much clear could a PC with 4 inch pad w/ a light cutting polish remove? (At speed 6 at slow pace)

jDizzle
07-27-2009, 05:36 PM
i have no idea, but i know everyones gna need to know the type of pad your using, most will probably want to know the polish too

GS4_Fiend
07-28-2009, 03:35 PM
4" LC Green w/ Menzerna Power Finish. And suggestions on a Paint Thickness Gauge.

imported_NRZ
07-28-2009, 03:44 PM
It also will depend on the car and how hard the clear is.

reparebrise
07-28-2009, 03:46 PM
We use this one in our shops with great success

http://www.paintgages.com/PaintGage-FNF-A-...tgage-fnf-a.htm

MarcHarris
07-28-2009, 03:49 PM
I`d recommend the Highline II that I use to anyone looking for a good device on a budget. Don`t get a probe, cool blue back-lit display, or a metal housing, but you will get accurate readings on steel and aluminum

GS4_Fiend
07-29-2009, 01:33 PM
I was planning to get the Highline Meter too. Are there different versions? Don`t know the history of the Highline Meter either. Thanks for the inputs.

Where can I get the Highline Meter? A known place please.

imported_Ivan Rajic
07-29-2009, 03:40 PM
I was planning to get the Highline Meter too. Are there different versions? Don`t know the history of the Highline Meter either. Thanks for the inputs.

Where can I get the Highline Meter? A known place please.

Hey I think you should get the Highline II gauge :p

GS4_Fiend
07-29-2009, 03:43 PM
Hey I founded my answer :)

GS4_Fiend
08-07-2009, 01:57 AM
Alright guys... I received my HighLine Meter II!!!! Very excited... Now the problem is how you use it? I don`t even understand the numbers on the screens. All I see is numbers. LOL. Please help.

imported_Ivan Rajic
08-07-2009, 07:27 AM
Alright guys... I received my HighLine Meter II!!!! Very excited... Now the problem is how you use it? I don`t even understand the numbers on the screens. All I see is numbers. LOL. Please help.

First, press it against the bare metal plate that comes with it and make sure it`s reading zero on both mil and micron settings.

Using it it`s quite simple... just press it so it`s flat against the paint, and wait for a number to pop up. Check a few times in the same area (area being a 2-3 square inch area) to make sure you`re pressing it correctly and getting the same readings.

Small guide to the numbers: You will get readings anywhere from 4mil to 6mil on new(er) cars and original paint. Since this reads total thickness to metal (primer, base, and clear) a good idea is to check thickness on a few places inside door jambs, underside of hood, etc. as these areas are usually not clear coated. This gives you total clear coat thickness.

Usually clear coat thickness is 1-2mils (I found on most cars it`s near 2 or more, but quite a few read about 1-1.5 so just be careful and triple check everything). The usual recommendation is to remove no more than .3-.5mil of clear coat, meaning about 1/5-1/4 total removal during the vehicle`s lifetime. This is only a recommendation but I think it`s a good one to follow.

A mil is 25.4 microns, and I recommend always using microns because you will tell easier how much paint is being removed due to the smaller unit of measure. According to the `rule` above, if clear coat is 1.5 mils, it`s ~38microns. 1/5 of that is 7.6 microns. To put that in perspective, PFW/M95or105/rotary remove 1-2microns on average (based on my use of the combo and my experience of course) and a medium combo following that (like SIP/orange or white or M8006) will remove 1 micron or less. Finishing polishes won`t even register with the gauge.

Hope this helps.

GS4_Fiend
08-08-2009, 12:22 AM
First, press it against the bare metal plate that comes with it and make sure it`s reading zero on both mil and micron settings.

Using it it`s quite simple... just press it so it`s flat against the paint, and wait for a number to pop up. Check a few times in the same area (area being a 2-3 square inch area) to make sure you`re pressing it correctly and getting the same readings.

Small guide to the numbers: You will get readings anywhere from 4mil to 6mil on new(er) cars and original paint. Since this reads total thickness to metal (primer, base, and clear) a good idea is to check thickness on a few places inside door jambs, underside of hood, etc. as these areas are usually not clear coated. This gives you total clear coat thickness.

Usually clear coat thickness is 1-2mils (I found on most cars it`s near 2 or more, but quite a few read about 1-1.5 so just be careful and triple check everything). The usual recommendation is to remove no more than .3-.5mil of clear coat, meaning about 1/5-1/4 total removal during the vehicle`s lifetime. This is only a recommendation but I think it`s a good one to follow.

A mil is 25.4 microns, and I recommend always using microns because you will tell easier how much paint is being removed due to the smaller unit of measure. According to the `rule` above, if clear coat is 1.5 mils, it`s ~38microns. 1/5 of that is 7.6 microns. To put that in perspective, PFW/M95or105/rotary remove 1-2microns on average (based on my use of the combo and my experience of course) and a medium combo following that (like SIP/orange or white or M8006) will remove 1 micron or less. Finishing polishes won`t even register with the gauge.

Hope this helps.

Ahaha.. I knew you would chime in Ivan. I will try out your acknowledgement and will tell you about it. Anyways, which piece am I suppose to use to calibrate with to get accuracy on the paint? Am I suppose to use the blue tab or silver tab?. And that`s it for now and I really appreciate your help pal. Thanks. :bow

BTW, did your Highline Meter II come with a battery?

imported_Ivan Rajic
08-08-2009, 02:24 AM
Ahaha.. I knew you would chime in Ivan. I will try out your acknowledgement and will tell you about it. Anyways, which piece am I suppose to use to calibrate with to get accuracy on the paint? Am I suppose to use the blue tab or silver tab?. And that`s it for now and I really appreciate your help pal. Thanks. :bow

BTW, did your Highline Meter II come with a battery?

Mine came ready to go. You need to use the bare metal piece to make sure it reads 0.

GS4_Fiend
08-08-2009, 09:12 PM
Great thanks man.

GS4_Fiend
08-11-2009, 11:31 PM
Mine came ready to go. You need to use the bare metal piece to make sure it reads 0.

Ok. I tried out the PGM today. The probe do have a sharp edge which could actually scratch the paint. Anyways. I took the reading on the bumper it registered 34.1 milli. Did the hood got 1.5 milli. So the place that got more milli, does that means it got repainted or oversprayed? How many milli equals to no more clear coat? Is there a minimum number to judge by? Thanks.