PDA

View Full Version : Leather Cleaner & Conditioner

PK8
07-26-2009, 09:40 PM
Just bought a 2005 X5 for my wife w/56k miles, and the leather needs some TLC. The leather is a bit "hard/slick", and I`d like to get it clean and (as much as possible) returned to it`s original soft/supple/matte condition. It seems like Leatherique gets a lot of good reviews on here, but is more often used with older cars. Would Leatherique be overkill for our X5? If yes (or no), any other product(s) I should consider?

Thank you!!

jDizzle
07-26-2009, 09:46 PM
this topic comes up a lot here. i think i remember someone saying woollite dolites 10-1 with water.. but dont quote me on that. i personally when it comes to cleaners for leather like meguiard ultimate quik interior detailer, surf city dash away, and eagle ones nano protectant/cleaner.. for a conditioner i like surf city`s voodoo blend conditioner. ive only ever used both of those surf city products a few times, but got good results each time, and plan to continue using them.

jopa489
07-26-2009, 10:04 PM
Go for the two step Leatherique - rejuvenator oil then pristine clean. It will give you the results you`re looking for. :)

imported_madwax
07-27-2009, 03:26 AM
Leatherique is a good product. I had some great results with it. You could also try Leather Masters soft cleaner (if its not stained) or hard cleaner (if it is) and they a great leather cream. I really like their stuff, its kinda expensive though.

steelwind101
07-27-2009, 04:13 AM
;) I shouldent think the oils in the Leatherique would do one bit of good for modern BMW leather!

Its bound to covered in a clearplastic coat and thus the oils will be wiped away when you rub down the seats, not obsorbed or even worse remain in the cracks and creases of the leather and attarct dirt that will damage the leather!

Cleaning is vital in keeping leather good. What most people who rave about Leatherique (and use it on modern leather) probably get the inital part after cleaning is the benefit of clean and soft leather. In the long term, as mentioned above the dirt can penetrate and damage leather. Leatherique offers no protection, so thats a second phase of attack on your seats that you wont be protected from.

Just get yourself some proper leather cleaning products for the type of leather you want. It would appear Leather Masters do a reasonable cleaner and protector in the USA.

:xyxthumbs

Fresh330
07-27-2009, 01:35 PM
I shouldent think the oils in the Leatherique would do one bit of good for modern BMW leather!

So leatherique is no good with BMW leather. I`ve been searching for a good leather conditioner/cleaner/protectant that won`t break the wallet (as you know, this hobby is expensive).

Leather Masters the way to go? Does it have a new leather smell to it? :)

PK8
07-27-2009, 02:09 PM
Thanks for your replies. Thinking that Leatherique probably is more than what I need, I narrowed it down to Zaino and Spinneybeck (also considered Leather Masters and a couple others) and decided to go with the Spinneybeck.

I drive an `07 335 (which I know does not need Leatherique), so the Spinneybeck should be good for both that and the X5.

PK