PDA

View Full Version : question on applying paste wax

bc811
07-26-2009, 09:07 PM
Hi guys I`m pretty new to here and I want to know what is the right method of applying paste wax by hand? Any written directions that I could learn from?

Also, what would u guys reccomend for a hand applicator?

Thanks a lot!!

craigdt
07-26-2009, 09:19 PM
What kind of wax are you using?

Typically, I use the applicator that came with the product. (such as a foam applicator). Then I apply the product as thin as I can.

jDizzle
07-26-2009, 09:22 PM
there are instructions on each can that should be followed. but generally you use an applicator thats either foam or cotton terry or microfiber over foam, dip it into your wax with a gentle wiping motion to get a small amount of wax on your applicator, then using a flat hand (not finger tips) and light pressure rub it onto your car in a thin coat, you should not see any white residue until it dries, it should be thin enough to be clear when it first goes on.. let it haze (dry), you can swipe your finger accross the paint with wax on it to see if its dry, its called the swipe test.. if your finger leaves streaks the was isnt dry, if it comes off clean its dry.. some waxes say to let dry, some say dont let dry, some even say let sit for several hours, it should be in the instructions. remove with a CLEAN microfiber cloth such as a viking microfiber from autozone, or a carrand microfiber from any autoparts store; orange vroom towels from target are rebranded carrand towels so theyre ok too.. use as little pressure as nessicary to remove the hazed wax. by the way, to test a microfiber towel, you can rub it on a cd, if it scratches, dont touch your paint with it.. good luck. hope it helps

bc811
07-26-2009, 09:51 PM
What kind of wax are you using?

Typically, I use the applicator that came with the product. (such as a foam applicator). Then I apply the product as thin as I can.

I`m using mothers (doesnt have applicator came with it) but planning to switch to some other brands soon...

coz i want to try more products rather than sticking to one..

bc811
07-26-2009, 09:52 PM
there are instructions on each can that should be followed. but generally you use an applicator thats either foam or cotton terry or microfiber over foam, dip it into your wax with a gentle wiping motion to get a small amount of wax on your applicator, then using a flat hand (not finger tips) and light pressure rub it onto your car in a thin coat, you should not see any white residue until it dries, it should be thin enough to be clear when it first goes on.. let it haze (dry), you can swipe your finger accross the paint with wax on it to see if its dry, its called the swipe test.. if your finger leaves streaks the was isnt dry, if it comes off clean its dry.. some waxes say to let dry, some say dont let dry, some even say let sit for several hours, it should be in the instructions. remove with a CLEAN microfiber cloth such as a viking microfiber from autozone, or a carrand microfiber from any autoparts store; orange vroom towels from target are rebranded carrand towels so theyre ok too.. use as little pressure as nessicary to remove the hazed wax. by the way, to test a microfiber towel, you can rub it on a cd, if it scratches, dont touch your paint with it.. good luck. hope it helps

thanks for the input...but do u guys have a waxing instruction video? youtube or something like that?

citizen arcane
07-27-2009, 08:19 AM
thanks for the input...but do u guys have a waxing instruction video? youtube or something like that?

How to Video - Pinnacle Car detailing video from wash to wax (http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/pinnacle.html)

Go to "waxing"

Accumulator
07-27-2009, 10:35 AM
citizen arcane- Does that Pinnacle video have them using W-O-W-O when waxing? People usually do that with Souveran even though I prefer to let it haze.

bc811- I`d watch that you don`t try to overthink this, it`s really just a matter of wiping the stuff on thinly and uniformly and then either waiting until it passes the finger-swipe test or, in rare cases like Victoria Wax, buffing it off immediately.

People try to complicate it with "which direction?" and other such stuff but it`s really a matter of putting the wax on the paint so a tiny bit of it can bond well enough to stay on when you buff off the excess/residue. Note that almost all the wax gets wiped back off, hardly any actually remains on the vehicle.

The only thing I really take note of is whether to use a damp or dry applicator, and that oughta be on the product`s label.

For an applicator, some people prefer MF, but I like the regular foam applicators that`re generically referred to as "yellow foam wax applicators". I suppose there are good/better/best variations of those, but I`ve never noticed any significant functional differences between any of mine.

bc811
07-27-2009, 03:12 PM
thanks guys!

GS4_Fiend
07-27-2009, 04:20 PM
When you say damp you mean wet it water? I think using QD is better...

Accumulator
07-27-2009, 05:20 PM
When you say damp you mean wet it water? I think using QD is better...

With Collinite 476S I use distilled water. I sometimes use QDs with other LSPs but IMO you need to know that the LSP/QD combo will work OK lest you find yourself with issues.

Aesop F1
07-27-2009, 05:22 PM
I apply the wax with my bare hands, I guess its rather unnecessary but I prefer it to an applicator.

GS4_Fiend
07-27-2009, 05:49 PM
With Collinite 476S I use distilled water. I sometimes use QDs with other LSPs but IMO you need to know that the LSP/QD combo will work OK lest you find yourself with issues.

What about Natty`s Blue then? What you suggest?

imported_RZJZA80
07-27-2009, 07:31 PM
small foam applicator like the Pinnacle ones, and IME paste is easier to apply especially thin layers than liquid waxes.

Accumulator
07-28-2009, 09:33 AM
What about Natty`s Blue then? What you suggest?

Sorry, never used Natty`s :nixweiss