PDA

View Full Version : Menzerna and different pads

Pages : [1] 2

gav'spurplez
07-25-2009, 05:35 AM
I have always used IP with a yellow cutting pad for bad swirls, and FPII with a white polishing pad for lesser swirls.

What would be a more effective combo IP with a white pad or FPII with a yellow pad ?

gav'spurplez
07-27-2009, 10:20 AM
41 views and no one has an opinion....

c`mon fellas :think:

getcha
07-27-2009, 10:29 AM
IP on white for sure. You can 1 step it on some paints and some colors really nicely if you finish it out well. You can go from IP on white to FPII on white(a clean pad of course) and get a really nice finish for the products you have there.

FPII wont do much but provide lubrication for the yellow pad to marr the crap out of the paint. Yellow is an aggressive foam.

This is all assuming youre talking about the LC white and LC yellow. :)

gav'spurplez
07-27-2009, 01:08 PM
yeah i think LC and the ones i order from proper auto care . com

are the same...

yep, yellow is coarse, white not so much and then i use the gray finishing pad for LSP`s

thanks for the info.....

Setec Astronomy
07-27-2009, 01:14 PM
I dunno, there`s the rock-hard yellow, and then the soft yellow that CMA (used to?) sells. I found the softer yellow to be more effective in general (more cut, less marring?), the hard yellow mostly succeeded in making my wrists ache.

I would think that the hard yellow pads would more suit themselves to PG rather than IP, which isn`t really that aggressive.

David Fermani
07-27-2009, 02:06 PM
PC or Rotary? I avoid yellow pads all together(rotary).

Bert
07-27-2009, 02:21 PM
I have always used IP with a yellow cutting pad for bad swirls, and FPII with a white polishing pad for lesser swirls.

What would be a more effective combo IP with a white pad or FPII with a yellow pad ?

When it comes to those times when you need some strong cut, instead of yellow pads, maybe give the orange pads a try with a more aggressive polish. If you want to stay in the Menzerna brand, the more aggressive polish would be Power Gloss. Another good strong compound is Meguiars M105 Ultra Cut.

If you were to use M105 on LC Orange to get rid of the swirls, IP on white to clean up after compounding and then FPII on Black to burnish the paint.

Aesop F1
07-27-2009, 02:27 PM
Have a look here, most comprehensive guide I have seen

Understanding Menzerna: Proper Auto Care`s guide to Menzerna! - Truth In Detailing Auto Detailing Forum (http://truthindetailing.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=569)

Personally I use yellow, white pads are too sticky.

gav'spurplez
07-27-2009, 03:07 PM
I may be out dated, i have been using the IP and the CMA pads for years.....just havent been doing alot of " customer " cars so i still have products left over....

....i was just wondering because the yellow pad + IP always dusts alot, and i thought there may be a less "harsh" combo..... i really need to read up on the newer products....

am i in the stone age ??

Accumulator
07-27-2009, 05:28 PM
FWIW, I`d much rather use an aggressive product on a mild pad than vice-versa.

I only use aggressive pads as needed to *let the product work the best*.

And I`d never use something as mild as FPII with a harsh pad, *NEVER*. It`d be trying to force the FPII to do something it`s not designed to do.

gav'spurplez
07-27-2009, 06:47 PM
sounds good fellas,

seems as though i need to be more proactive in reading about new products.

Accumulator
07-28-2009, 09:39 AM
....i was just wondering because the yellow pad + IP always dusts alot, and i thought there may be a less "harsh" combo..... i really need to read up on the newer products....

am i in the stone age ??

Noting that I have to be dragged kicking and screaming into the modern age when my old stuff is still working OK, yeah...there have been a whole lot of advances that really *can* make a difference.

I hardly *EVER* use yellow foam any more.

Some of the newer polishes are really something; I`m working with the Meguiar`s M105/m205 twins these days, but some of the newer Menzerna offerings would probably wow you too.

Matching the various pads on the market with some of the newer polishes would almost certainly result in *some* combo giving you a very pleasant surprise.

Bert
07-28-2009, 11:21 AM
FWIW, I`d much rather use an aggressive product on a mild pad than vice-versa.

I only use aggressive pads as needed to *let the product work the best*.

And I`d never use something as mild as FPII with a harsh pad, *NEVER*. It`d be trying to force the FPII to do something it`s not designed to do.

I have to agree with Accum here. When climbing the aggressiveness ladder, 99% of the time I get better results if I go stronger with the polish rather than with the pad.

For example, if Menz 106ff or 106fa on a white pad was not enough, I would go up to SIP still on a white rather than using 106 on an orange pad. If SIP on the white pad still wasn`t enough I would do one of two things, either 1) Go up in polish one more time and use Megs 105 on the white pad or 2) stay with SIP and bring the pad up to orange. But like I said, I almost always go to a stronger polish before going to a stronger pad. In many cases I have come across where I had to do both.

An exception may be a time when I was using say SIP on an orange pad. I might stick with SIP but use a LC Purple Foamed Wool pad or the Foamed Wool pads that David Fermani likes so much since both pads cut so nice with SIP. But this is more the exception than the rule.

Once I wear out my LC Purple Foamed pads I am going to have to give those Foamed Wool pads David talks about. I just keep hearing so much good stuff about them.

Envious Eric
07-28-2009, 11:30 AM
up the aggressiveness on a orange pad if need be...105 and orange is as aggressive I get on the PC, anymore than that, and I am reaching for the rotary with a PFW pad and starting over on the aggressiveness scale regarding the compounds

my general testing goes something like this...

orange pad with SIP

orange pad with 105

rotary, PFW, SIP

rotary, PFW, 105

if that doesnt do the trick, then its a 2 day detail!

Accumulator
07-28-2009, 11:41 AM
up the aggressiveness on a orange pad if need be...105 and orange is as aggressive I get on the PC, anymore than that, and I am reaching for the rotary..

Agreed, although I was surprised how well Cyclo/Edge 4" wool pads worked on the PC with M105 (I would *NOT* try them with any other product based on my experiences with them). For cases where the rotary isn`t an option, those do give you one moren (final?) click up the aggressiveness scale.

Oh, and there are the Surbuf pads, currently under discussion on a few threads. They can apparently do some very impressive correction.