PDA

View Full Version : Clay preferences

Pages : [1] 2

PSU 98
07-23-2009, 04:43 PM
As testing different brands of detailing clay is not very cost-effective, I`m looking for some recommendations from others. I have been using Zaino clay for years, love it, am looking for something comparable. I have tried some other brands (Mother`s, Clay Magic) and have been less than satisfied.

One thing I`ve noticed is that some of the chemicals I use during paint prep (i.e., Stoner`s Tarminator, and some others) really affect the Zaino clay.

craigdt
07-23-2009, 09:49 PM
I use the Sonus green, and its pretty similar to Blue Clay magic. I use mothers for the more aggressive approach.

What kind of things are happening to your Zaino clay?

Dsoto87
07-23-2009, 10:26 PM
Sonus green is nothing like cm blue imo

craigdt
07-23-2009, 10:33 PM
Really? I put a chunk of them side by side and closed my eyes, scrambled em up, and couldnt tell the difference. CM blue *might* be a bit more aggressive however.

Dsoto87
07-23-2009, 10:39 PM
What does touching with your eyes closed prove? As you said, cm blue is more agressive, that`s not to say it IS agressive, just that sonus is pretty mild.

I use sonus the most on my own car since I don`t need anything more agressive. I`ve never got marring from it. I can`t tell a difference between the sonus and pinnacle ultra poly II. Except for the price tag.

PSU 98
07-23-2009, 10:46 PM
Usually I like to clay as I wash, using the wash solution as a lubricant. But the Zaino claybar gets very mushy (for lack of a better term) and degrades when it`s exposed to the chemicals. I`ve especially noticed this when I use Tarminator on a panel, and then go over it with a claybar. The clay ends up coming apart and sticking to my hands, the panel, everything. Now Tarminator is a pretty harsh chemical, and I`d imagine most clays would do the same. Just looking for some recommendations for alternatives that I might like here.

As far as aggressiveness goes, where would Zaino clay rate?

craigdt
07-23-2009, 10:56 PM
What does touching with your eyes closed prove?

It proved to me that the texture is very similar. That is all.

jordanrossbell
07-23-2009, 11:11 PM
I would look into Chemical Guys Blue clay, stay away from the gray.. i hated it.

GS4_Fiend
07-23-2009, 11:34 PM
What`s wrong with grey? I use the Meguiar`s Clay bar kit. Pretty good.

jordanrossbell
07-24-2009, 12:19 AM
I feel it just isnt very effective. I dont get a really smooth feel from the paint after using. It disintegrates in your hand as well. Mars decently bad. Overall a big thumbs down for me. But the blue is quite good. Im speaking of the CG gray

JSFM35X
07-24-2009, 03:41 AM
There was a thread somewhere that said there is 1 company that holds the patent of automotive clay and they manufacture if for everyone else in the industry. They began enforcing this patent about 2 years ago and that caused the prices to skyrocket.

I have been using Simoniz Gray fine clay with great sucess. I also used the gray Poorboys clay and it seems identical. I have used the mothers gold bar kit and it also did the job.

I tried the elastrofoam synthetic block and it felt weird to me so I stopped. I was afraid of marring the paint, i just could not get it to slide right. I wish someone who likes that thing would post a video or a step by step.

I have not has any issues with consistance of real clay and I use car wash mixed with DI water to make a very slick mixture. Like 1-2 oz per quart in a trigger sprayer.

Eliot Ness
07-24-2009, 06:28 AM
I think you`d be safe having the Sonus Green as a gentle clay and Clay Magic Blue as a medium clay. Auto Wax, the parent company of Clay Magic, makes the clay for everyone since their lawsuits a few years ago.

Prior to the lawsuits my favorite clay was the yellow elastic clay that several vendors carried under different names. Fortunately I had stocked up on it hoping it will last until the patent runs out around 2013. You can still buy the good clay overseas and in Canada, but not here in the states.

imported_rlarsen462
07-24-2009, 09:24 AM
Prior to the lawsuits my favorite clay was the yellow elastic clay that several vendors carried under different names. Fortunately I had stocked up on it hoping it will last until the patent runs out around 2013. You can still buy the good clay overseas and in Canada, but not here in the states.

Crap, THAT explains why I can`t find that stuff anymore...I literally have one yellow bar left, I think I paid like $9 for it from Autopia a few years ago.

Does anyone have a source for that stuff now? I really liked how it worked. Would the CM Blue stuff be pretty similar if I can`t get the yellow?

SpoiledMan
07-24-2009, 10:51 AM
Nothing like the elastic stuff. Funny thing is I used to hate it. I had 6 or so bars tucked away and pulled one out. Now I don`t want to use any of the "regular" stuff.

Demon Detailer
07-24-2009, 04:54 PM
To PSU 98

The detergents in the car wash soap and other chemicals are attacking and degrading the polybutene, the main ingredient of the clay. That is why the clay gets gooey and starts to fall apart.

To prevent that, just use the clay with water or "lubricant" designed for use with clay bars.