PDA

View Full Version : 12V adpater+PC

Dragons4life
07-22-2009, 03:38 PM
Ok, i am considering a PC, however since i have no outlet whatsoever in a underground garage, because i live in a apartment. So my choice right now is a 12v adpater so i can plug in the Pc. However i do not know which ones to get for the car. Anyone give an idea for a good one? and also will this kill the car lol.....for common sense sake i have a feeling it will lol. Help is needed.!

GoCubsGo
07-22-2009, 03:59 PM
The PC 7424 draws 4.5 amps which translates to 540 watts (amps x 120v = watts). Make sure you pick up an inverter that can carry that load (I would go for a minimum 750 watt continuous inverter to be on the safe side, the idea of running an inverter close to max for an extended period of time just doesn`t seem to be a good idea in my book).

Here`s one I found on buy.com ( Vector 043 750-Watt Power Inverter - VEC 043 - Buy.com (http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=90111801) ). This one is currently out of stock, but you get the idea.

One thing to keep in mind, this will drain the battery so you`ll have to run the car intermittently. You should be fine for running the inverter on your DD, but I would advise against starting a detail business and running it off your car battery ;).

DeanMachine
07-22-2009, 04:43 PM
I was considering the same thing, but with a deep cycle marine battery. How would you size a battery and how long would it last. I gues a generator would probably be more the answer?

XRL
07-22-2009, 04:48 PM
I have a Whistler Power inverter i got from radioshack.com for $40. It works quite well, and it`ll shut off before it lets you drain the battery, so all you have to do then is start your car and let the alternator do its job. You`ll want to clip it onto the battery, even though it comes with an AC adapter.

GoCubsGo
07-22-2009, 05:03 PM
I was considering the same thing, but with a deep cycle marine battery. How would you size a battery and how long would it last. I gues a generator would probably be more the answer?

Run a search for "inverter" in the "Professional Detailer General Discussion" forum here and there`s a lot of discusson on inverters, deep cycle batteries and generators. If you can swing it a generator seems to be the Pros choice for a lack of power outlets.

DeanMachine
07-22-2009, 05:07 PM
Run a search for "inverter" in the "Professional Detailer General Discussion" forum here and there`s a lot of discusson on inverters, deep cycle batteries and generators. If you can swing it a generator seems to be the Pros choice for a lack of power outlets.

Right on!

Search button..... what a novel concept! ha ha ha!:chuckle:

GoCubsGo
07-22-2009, 05:22 PM
Right on!

Search button..... what a novel concept! ha ha ha!:chuckle:

Don`t fret my man, I searched and searched on inverters with limited results until I gave the "Pro" forum a try. I lurk there once in awhile, but don`t post since I am just a weekend warrior :grinno:. Uh-oh starting to go off topic..my bad.

DeanMachine
07-22-2009, 09:11 PM
easy to get off topic, seeing as how the detailing biz is such a large topic.

Thanks!

Dragons4life
07-22-2009, 10:00 PM
so it is doable...but how long will it last before killing the battery? couple of hours?

GoCubsGo
07-22-2009, 11:36 PM
Pick up an inverter with a warning sound and auto-shutoff and you won`t need to worry. I am a bit paranoid so I have always started my car after each pass when running the PC off my inverter, probably big time overkill, but as I said, I am paranoid (no reasoning behind this). Your car and more specifically it`s battery has the final say on inverter run-time (I have a 2005 M3).

Food for thought: A polish at PC level 6 is going to take a lot more run-time/juice than just throwing on a sealant at level 3`ish via the PC.

XRL
07-23-2009, 07:13 AM
My G110 on max gets probably an hour or so before the voice in my head or chime says to start the car. If you`re a pro, I could see the benefit of a generator, not wanting to use up customers` gas and not wanting to leave their cars running, etc. But if its just your own car, go with an inverter. It`s a lot more cost effective, and you can always start the car.

The $40 Whistler I got from Radioshack.com will shut off if the voltage gets too low(ie the battery gets too drained, but not deep cycled yet).

Dragons4life
07-23-2009, 09:55 AM
i`m no professional..just need the Pc to remove some swrils and scratches. However i might pick up a battery with the inverter instead f using the cars lol.

215Detailing
07-23-2009, 10:23 AM
Hope that this may help: I had one on wheels that was yellow but it woked for a time. Never owed the solar one but hell sounds worth while|:

XPower Portable Powerpack Solar — 400 Watts, 10Ah Battery, Model# 852-2071 | Portable Power Solutions | Northern Tool + Equipment (http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200343105_200343105)

Xantrex XPower Portable Powerpack 1500 — 1500 Watts, Model# 802-1500 | Portable Power Solutions | Northern Tool + Equipment (http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200313775_200313775)