PDA

View Full Version : Removing Wheel Sealant

eltiodolfo
07-22-2009, 02:27 PM
Hi Guys. I used Poorboys Wheel Sealant on my OZ Racing rims and there is a porous area where I cannot remove the wax. I attempted washing the rims multiple times with diluted Megs APC but it did not remove the wax. I also tried buffing it off with a microfiber but the results were not positive.

Any advice? Thanks!

GoCubsGo
07-22-2009, 02:35 PM
Try a 50/50 IPA distilled water solution. This should do the trick.

white ghost
07-22-2009, 02:38 PM
you could try taking a mild clay bar with a lube of your choice and spot press the affected areas. maybe a 2x2" spot at a time. its very time consuming, but works well at removing wax,polish or the like from pores.

GS4_Fiend
07-22-2009, 03:36 PM
That white stuff on the rim doesn`t look normal. Is your rim coated? I think the wheel sealant is good for coated. Even though it says use for all types.

eltiodolfo
07-22-2009, 05:57 PM
That white stuff on the rim doesn`t look normal. Is your rim coated? I think the wheel sealant is good for coated. Even though it says use for all types.

Yeah, that white stuff is the darn sealant :(

alowe
07-23-2009, 05:29 AM
V DUB?

IPA and a toothbrush works well

imported_etml12
07-23-2009, 09:03 AM
P21s wheel cleaner or TAW.

Setec Astronomy
07-23-2009, 09:24 AM
I`m sorry, those spokes have been brutalized. Your problem isn`t with the Pb`s WS, it`s with the "porous" condition you mention. Those spokes need to be polished smooth before you seal them, if the paint is salvageable.

eltiodolfo
07-23-2009, 11:37 AM
I`m sorry, those spokes have been brutalized. Your problem isn`t with the Pb`s WS, it`s with the "porous" condition you mention. Those spokes need to be polished smooth before you seal them, if the paint is salvageable.

The rims only have 7k miles on them. I guess that surface is not a good one to apply sealant :(

The rims are painted black from the manufacturer and if I polish them via a machine the paint will be gone I believe. This weekend I will try the suggested solutions and report back.

GS4_Fiend
07-23-2009, 12:26 PM
Exactly. The rims been painted. That`s the culprit.

eltiodolfo
07-23-2009, 12:49 PM
Exactly. The rims been painted. That`s the culprit.

I guess the manufacturer doesn`t do a great job. If you notice the part of the spokes that point outward, the surface seems polished and smooth and no sealant got stock there. It was easily buffed. On the other hand, the inner part of the spoke has a ****** surface.