PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose a tire dressing

Pages : [1] 2

Less
07-21-2009, 08:42 AM
I`ve narrowed it down to a few choices. All seem to have their pros and cons. I`ve been using OTC stuff and I`m just tired of it. I don`t like a mirror-shine on my tires. I just want them to be black, and stay black, that`s it. Also, it would be nice if I could have something that did double duty on my exterior trim. I have an `09 CRV, so there`s alot of trim. Again, shine is secondary to blackness and durability. Also, I`m looking for something in a gallon size.

Here are the choices.

Optimum Opti-Bond: Seems a little pricey. I`m not sure how long a gallon will last. I do like the idea that it`s a `protective` product as well and should have no problem doing double duty on my trim.

Meguiar`s All-Season Dressing: Claims to be weather resistant. It`s a bit cheaper than OptiBond. However, I couldn`t find many pictures of this stuff in action. Again, it`s a protective product that is versatile enough for many different applications.

Meg`s Hyper Dressing: It`s the most expensive of the three, but is dilutable, so it`s probably significanlty cheaper in the long term than the others. I like the idea how I can control the shine with different dilution ratios. However, it doesn`t seem to offer any weather/UV protection like the others do.

Any input?

Dsoto87
07-21-2009, 09:02 AM
Optibond is dilutable also.

I dilute 1:1 without any loss in shine or durability so I`m sure it can be diluted further.

Just wondering if durability is an issue to you. A solvent based dressing will last longer than any water based dressing.

With that said, I`ve never used hyper dressing or ASD, but optibond has excellent durability for a water based dressing.

With solvent based dressings, after a rain my tires would look gunky and dirty. With optibond, my tires are black. No sheen, not dirty, just black.

I guess because it dries to the touch so it doesn`t attract dirt.

You can bring the sheen of the dressing down with a wipedown. It also looks great on trim.

Essentially you can get 2 gallons out of the 1 gallon for $35. I think that`s an excellent deal.

Maybe someone with experience with all 3 will chime in

mose
07-21-2009, 09:11 AM
Opti Bond is the best dressing I have used. I dilute it 2:1 (2 parts water/1 part product) and it works great!! I also apply it through a paint sprayer and air compressor. This gives me a nice even coat, the air mixture also cuts down on how much I am using so that saves me some money as well.

I have used Megs HD and really like it. I have no problem going to that if I need to. I will primarily use it on engine details on DD`s that only require some degreasing, a quick brusing and rinsing. Blow the water off the engine and coat the top with HD....works great!

Setec Astronomy
07-21-2009, 09:11 AM
Dsoto, are you applying the Opti-Bond with a powered sprayer as is suggested? Or just swiping it on?

Dsoto87
07-21-2009, 09:56 AM
No just swiping it on. I don`t see how you can get it on with a sprayer without overspray all over the rim or surrounding paintwork.

I honestly don`t think you should use optibond straight. Its a huge waste of product. I never tried 2:1 but like I said, there`s no difference at 1:1 except your getting more value.

I also put it in a spritzer bottle and spray my swipe twice and the tire twice and rub it in. I`ve driven off 10 minutes after applying with absolutely 0 sling.

Eisen Hulk
07-21-2009, 10:16 AM
From those three, I would choose Opti-Bond. It`s definitely in my top three.

As for number one....I`m like a broken record here, but it`s Z-16.

imported_Jakerooni
07-21-2009, 10:20 AM
For me it`s hyperdressing. Just a solid good clean look not a shiney mess I`ve never had any sling issues with it and it was by far cheaper than any previous dressing I was using.

Eisen Hulk
07-21-2009, 10:23 AM
I really need to break out the Hyperdressing and try it. It just sits in a pile (along with a lot of other products) waiting to be used.

2StepsAhead
07-21-2009, 11:05 AM
Optibond is the best I`ve used so far and I`ve gone thru about 10 tire dressings. Leaves rubber nice and dark looking without looking shiney or oiley.

AGAuto
07-21-2009, 12:03 PM
If your looking for durability, wouldn`t a water-based tire dressing such as Hyper Dressing or Opti-Bond be the wrong thing to choose from because it would easily wash away in the rain? I just ordered the All Season Dressing so I`m curious to see how that`s going to hold up. Until now, I`ve been using an Ardex tire dressing that was just okay, but I`m looking to try something new.

PSU 98
07-21-2009, 02:57 PM
I used to swear by Z16, until I tried Adam`s VRT. A friend of mine (who is a Zaino distributor) made the switch as well. Great stuff. And I do use it on some exterior trim, like the product states "vinyl, rubber, tire".

carlsson
07-21-2009, 05:31 PM
If your looking for durability, wouldn`t a water-based tire dressing such as Hyper Dressing or Opti-Bond be the wrong thing to choose from because it would easily wash away in the rain

For what it`s worth– even though HD is called a water-based product, it still has silicone in it. I`ve found that at full strength, HD lasts a good while– even after a visit to an automated touchless spray wash. Whether that`s because of the silicone or not I have no clue. Somebody else could possibly chime in on the chemistry.

solstice
07-21-2009, 05:36 PM
I would 303 Protectant .. cheap and works for tires perfectly.. It leaves the tires looking mat almost like new.

carlsson
07-21-2009, 05:49 PM
I like 303 a lot, but haven`t tried it on tires yet. I would not say its cheap though at $20.00/quart. Maybe if you`re only using a few pumps per tire. I`ll try it for sure though :)

Bigpoppa3346
07-21-2009, 05:51 PM
For what it`s worth– even though HD is called a water-based product, it still has silicone in it. I`ve found that at full strength, HD lasts a good while– even after a visit to an automated touchless spray wash. Whether that`s because of the silicone or not I have no clue. Somebody else could possibly chime in on the chemistry.

I`m pretty sure nearly every water based dressing has silicone in it. Silicone is not bad for tires, it is the petroleum distillates found in clear, oil based dressing that you are thinking about.