PDA

View Full Version : Collinite 845

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

efnfast
07-20-2009, 11:25 PM
Got it today - it was basically like 1 big wax candle in a bottle ( :cooleek: ). I tried shaking it for 5 or 6minutes and got nowhere, so I put it in some heated water and let it soak for 15minutes. When I took it out it was basically all liquid; I shook it for a good 6 or 7minutes, still thin and liquidy, but I used it anyways.

So the question - do I have to keep shake shake shaking him until he`s a totally solid type liquid, or can I use it if it comes out thin, almost like water? (but not totally water-like, because it sits on the pad in a blob, spreads nicely, and comes off nicely)

jam
07-21-2009, 12:50 AM
When I got mine, it was chunky. After 10 minutes of hard shaking, it became a nice liquid and has stayed that way. I`ve used it both ways. It`s much easier when it`s thin. Just make sure to shake it a bit to mix it up before using.

jking
07-21-2009, 12:57 AM
It goes on better if its liquidy and it last forever.

JSFM35X
07-21-2009, 04:44 AM
The shaking is worth it. 845IW is a solid, resonablly priced product that will produce awesome results. It lasts forever and is extreemly slick. It can be a bit "lumpy" or "congealed" after sitting for a while but it is a really nice product. i used it for years. The beads will make you cry.

I ojnly stopped using it to try a straight sealant on a new black car.

Still using it o my silver truck with super results.

jDizzle
07-21-2009, 08:10 AM
i shake the crud out of every bottle of 845 i get, and ive always gotten good results.. the bottles cap pretty much always craps out on me though.

Less
07-21-2009, 08:24 AM
Wow, I`ve had a bottle of 845 for the last two years and haven`t experienced any of the problems you guys have mentioned.

mine has a bottle cap that reminds me of those `child-proof` pill bottles. Actually, it`s very similar to the cap that`s on windshield washer fluid. You have to push down and turn.

Anyway, my bottle is still the same consistency as when i bought it. It`s a thick gel, but it`s not lumpy or chunky and requires no shaking. It has a consistency similar to shaving gel.

Works awesome, great product

Setec Astronomy
07-21-2009, 08:44 AM
There have been a lot of threads on this. It must be from the bottling process, but usually 845 comes with a plug of sticky stuff in the neck, and you can`t get anything out. You have to push that down into the bottle and shake the snot out of it until it turns into a thin liquid (yes, it really does) and then it seems to stay that way forever.

Dan
07-21-2009, 09:40 AM
i shake the crud out of every bottle of 845 i get, and ive always gotten good results.. the bottles cap pretty much always craps out on me though.

Yeah... the cap sucks and goes flying when you shake it.....

arfax
07-21-2009, 01:25 PM
i leave mine in the sun for a bit before using it.

efnfast
07-21-2009, 01:51 PM
After application, how long do you guys leave it on to haze before buffing it off? I tried 30minutes and 5minutes, and I get left with streaks. I`m trying again with 2hrs this time to see how it goes.

Normally I leave my pinnacle on for 30minutes, but when I did the finger swipe after 30minutes with the 845 it was still "greasy" and didn`t come off cleanly as powder.

imported_etml12
07-21-2009, 03:10 PM
efnfast, other than the inconvenience of waiting around, letting it go more than 30 minutes should not pose a problem. However, I think you`ll be better served by applying thinner coats.

efnfast
07-21-2009, 03:24 PM
I am applying it as thinly as I can (with my cyclo) - my problem is I apply it, let it dry, looks great, but when I pull it out into direct sunlight I can see streaking and buildup all over the place. So I buff it off, which leaves more residue behind. I chase that residue, only to find more residue and streaks. It doesn`t like me for some reason, heh.

imported_detail1
07-21-2009, 03:32 PM
I am applying it as thinly as I can (with my cyclo) - my problem is I apply it, let it dry, looks great, but when I pull it out into direct sunlight I can see streaking and buildup all over the place. So I buff it off, which leaves more residue behind. I chase that residue, only to find more residue and streaks. It doesn`t like me for some reason, heh.

R u sure ur paint was streak free after u polished?

Maybe u shouldn`t let 845 dry. I would apply one panel at a time and immediately wipe it off. Then move on to the next panel.

gofastman
07-21-2009, 04:50 PM
take it to your local hardware store and ask em` to throw it in the paint shaker. :think2

jDizzle
07-21-2009, 04:56 PM
eftfast.. perhaps you should try applying it by hand. ive never been a fan of applying lsp`s with a buffer. they go on a lot thinner by hand.. ive never had to let 845 sit for 30 minutes, most of the time after ten minutes its dry. winter is a little longer, but still not 30 minutes.. 845 is a really oily feeling product, and it almost wants to go on thin.