PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one who uses this, plus a brush and water, for tire cleansing?

ten39
07-20-2009, 10:06 PM
Wet down the tire, apply a decent dollop of product on a tire brush, and go to town. Wash down when done.

http://softscrub.rhinonet.com/images/uploads/cleanser-bleach.png

To be honest, I`m a little embarrassed to even be asking the question, but I`ve used this stuff ever since I started helping my Dad wash the family car, and his truck, 20-25 years ago. Well, really, before they developed the liquid suspension you see above, we used Comet powder- but it`s basically the same thing. Been using the above for a good 15 years. Some may worry about the potential of drying out the rubber, but to be honest as a very a-retentive vehicle owner, I`ve never seen anything even close to that develop. Even after years and years of use on the same set of tires.

This product will take off road grime, dirt, rubber browning, and clean raised white letters (RWLs) and whitewalls (not that I deal with those anymore) with ease. Leaves the tires in a very protectant-ready stage after the wash. You can nearly run your hand over the tire sidewall with a white glove.

I`ve always struggled to find a dedicated detailing product that can replace Soft Scrub`s utility, and help talk me out of using a sink/shower cleaner on a vehicle. OTC wheel/tire cleaners are expensive, don`t clean the RWLs very well, and are usually way more agressive on the wheels than I ever need. Wesley`s Bleach White is straight disgusting. And most other detailing-specific products will require mail ordering, and more unit cost.

I have some Megs APC+ on order, but I fear even at 4:1 dilution it won`t have enough kick to clean the RWLs on my truck. The RWL thing is really the separator, since any number of products will work fine on blackwalls.

Thoughts, ideas, criticisms?:nixweiss

imported_wagonproject
07-20-2009, 10:13 PM
My dad uses the Comet powder all the time on my moms and his trucks just b/c he doesn`t like change. Never noticed anything bad happen to the tires/rims.

BigAl3
07-20-2009, 10:44 PM
while this stuff can get costly at around $5 a bottle, i really like it (have had good results) and wish they sold it in gallons. if you haven`t already, give it a try...

http://eagleone.com/images/products/AWTC.jpg