PDA

View Full Version : Overspray

Clean Dually
11-17-2005, 01:00 AM
Does anyone have any idea on how to remove paint overspray from the black textured plastic on bumpers?

Thanks

TrueDetailer
11-17-2005, 01:34 AM
Try some wd-40 on a rag. It shouldn`t do anything to your plastic/rubber bumpers but try it in a small area just to be safe.

Brenton
11-17-2005, 05:30 AM
It depends on the kind of overspray. Some overspray is a cheap repaint. Others is minor pollution. Some has activator in it, some doesn`t.

First try clay.
Then talk to a local auto supply store. There is a product with a foam aerosol liquid and hard plastic sponge that is supposed to work.
If your car is Urethane Enamel paint, a reducer will work. Try underneath a bumper to check for damage, don`t rub too hard.
If it is a different paint system, an auto paint thinner may work. Thinners & reducers are a last measure.

Beemerboy
11-17-2005, 10:11 AM
I had one like this and used APC with soapy water and a stiff bristle brush, this seemed to lift most of it and not hurt the plastic. I also started with clay as suggested already that seemed to pickup the overspray on the surface.

Clean Dually
11-18-2005, 12:47 AM
Thanks for your tips, i will give it a try. I was afraid of the clay getting stuck in the textured plastic, but i think i will try the clay first.

Brenton
11-18-2005, 06:37 AM
break off a little piece of clay so you don`t ruin a whole bar

Beemerboy
11-18-2005, 10:34 AM
Don`t worry about the clay getting stuck in the plastic...it will wash right off with a brush and soapy water....Its easier to get out than the overspray.....Let us know how things come out

Clean Dually
11-26-2005, 01:33 AM
Tried clay and wd 40 and laquer thinner, no luck getting the overspay off. Thanks for your help.

mrdetail123
12-06-2005, 02:03 PM
your pretty much screwed, the plastic adhears to the paint. for more tips and advice check out RespectTheMullet.com