PDA

View Full Version : New tires... what OTC dressing?

Pages : [1] 2

XRL
07-20-2009, 05:02 PM
So I`ve seen some ramblings on how silicone based tire dressings aren`t good for the tires long term. I`ve got some new tires on the way, and so I want to get a tire dressing that is water based to avoid any complications from a silicone based dressing. Are there any OTC water based tire dressings? Do I have one and not know it already?

The dressings I have are:

Armor All Tire Gel

Armor All Extreme Shine Spray

Turtle Wax F21 Tire Foam

Are any of these water based? Am I being too overprotective of my new Nitto tires?

Thanks guys.

Bigpoppa3346
07-20-2009, 05:05 PM
I am not sure if any of those are water based.

I use Armor All Original, water based, lasts a decent while, looks great, and is cheap. A winner in my book. :)

I know Mother`s has a few (supposedly good) offerings, but I`ve never tried any of them.

GoCubsGo
07-20-2009, 05:10 PM
Optimum Opti Bond Tire Gel Rubber Tire Dressing is a water based dressing. I`ve been using for about 9 months and like the results. It doesn`t sling either which is a huge bonus.

06vrss
07-20-2009, 05:41 PM
Meguiars Endurance tire gel....stuff works awesome plus smells like grape. Usually can be found at advance auto, autozone, etc...

XRL
07-20-2009, 05:56 PM
I actually have some of the Mother`s FX tire stuff. Have yet to try it (I have a whole FX kit I`ve yet to try actually...)

charlesaferg
07-20-2009, 05:59 PM
My vote is for 303 Aerospace, two coats.

It gives the tires a matte, new tire look, it actually protects the tires from sun damage, and doesn`t gum up your wheel wash mitt.

I am not sure if any of those are water based.

I use Armor All Original, water based, lasts a decent while, looks great, and is cheap. A winner in my book. :)

I know Mother`s has a few (supposedly good) offerings, but I`ve never tried any of them.

I am under the impression that it is petroleum based.

XRL
07-20-2009, 06:21 PM
Actually, I just remember it doesn`t have to be OTC. Autogeek is like 10 minutes from me. So I can pick it up from them like stuff was OTC, haha.

Bigpoppa3346
07-20-2009, 06:27 PM
I am under the impression that it is petroleum based.

Really? Armor All Original?

I know they changed the formula years back from the garbage that it was to a decent water based dressing. It is milky in color, drys to the touch, and provides a look (on tires, I don`t use it anywhere else) consistent with other water based dressings I`ve use.

Could there be petroleum distillates in it, maybe, I do not know. I`ve never had an issue with it turning rubber brown or causing any sort of premature aging, for what it`s worth.

XRL
07-20-2009, 06:56 PM
Anyone tried either of the Four Star tire products? They`re BOGO at autogeek and claim to be water based. I really liked the ultima tire stuff, it had a nice warm and matte look that looked like nice clean healthy tires. Dies the 4* look anything like that?

Also, are water based dressings that much less resistant to water? It rains all the damn time here in the summer, and so I`d hate for my new tire dressing to be washed off after a few minutes from some rain.

BigAl3
07-20-2009, 09:53 PM
both of these are great OTC tire dressings IME...

http://armorall.com/img/products/wheel_tire/r_arm_etsgelcrtn_0706.jpg

http://eagleone.com/images/products/Tire_Shine_Gel_Trigger.jpg

craigdt
07-20-2009, 09:59 PM
both of these are great OTC tire dressings IME...

http://armorall.com/img/products/wheel_tire/r_arm_etsgelcrtn_0706.jpg

This. A bottle lasts forever

willtothewong
07-20-2009, 11:52 PM
Actually, I just remember it doesn`t have to be OTC. Autogeek is like 10 minutes from me. So I can pick it up from them like stuff was OTC, haha.

wow

you`re damn lucky

=D

GoCubsGo
07-21-2009, 07:32 AM
Optimum Opti Bond Tire Gel Rubber Tire Dressing is a water based dressing. It provides a nice crisp/clean look and it doesn`t sling. I`ve been using it for about 9 months and really like the results.

Poordude
07-21-2009, 07:39 AM
303 turns my tires brown. Any other product I have used does not.

merkure
07-21-2009, 08:07 AM
Tires turn themselves brown as the petroleum comes to the surface. I`ve been using 303 on my tires for a year or so and it leaves them a nice matte black, it just doesn`t last as long as a greaser tire dressing.