PDA

View Full Version : glaze, sealer, polish

ouikikazz
07-20-2009, 10:09 AM
i`m reading and i can`t seem to find the right answers...

should i be polishing, sealing and glazing everytime i wash my car? i`m preparing for a new metallic black paint job on my car soon and i want to keep it looking nice and clean for a long time...but how often should i polish/glaze/wax? everytime after a wax? twice a year? every month? any consensus on this? car is a summer car only, its stored away in the winter time in a garage and covered...

imported_detail1
07-20-2009, 10:27 AM
ok , u need to use the search function on here.

To sum it up, the most important thing to learn how to do properly is to wash the car and dry. Most marring comes from improper washing- the dirt scratches the paint. The accumulator has a great write up on how to wash properly.

Once u learn how to wash properly, u wont need to polish. Polishing removes the clear coat little by little. Therefore its important to learn how t prevent marring and scratches so u dont have to polish.

U forgot to include claying- Use a cly bar to remove contaminants a paint- probably once a year for ur garage queen.

Glazng and waxing can be as often as u like- but usually once a month or once every six months. it all depends on how much time u have, how often u use ur car, where its parked, etc. In ur case, maybe once in the spring, once in the summer, once in the fall should cover it.

There are certain spray waxes like DG Acquawax that u can use after u wash to do a quick touch up wax until the next time u use a liquid or paste wax.

Just make sure, u research how to wash and dry ur car and purchase all the necessary supplies like: car wash soap, claybar, MF towels, Foam gun, Boars Head brush, soft MF mitt, grout sponge, vacuum or blower to dry car, 2 or 3 buckets, etc.

CEE DOG
07-20-2009, 10:34 AM
No, if you are driving daily wash your car weekyl The most important thing is the washing system. Read some of the "Articles" under the "Articles" tab on this site. EXTREMELY helpful. Also take a look on autogeek forum and do a search for washing.

Polish and seal your car anywhere from every month to every 6 months depending on what system you use. You should also consider a very gentle clay for before you polish. And you don`t have to polish with a machine.

Look at the Ultima System, the Zaino system, and the Klasse system. There are others but those are the ones I read about being the best protectors. I just started the Ultima system yesterday (minus the Elastafoam bar) I used a sonus clay bar for that step.

Edit: Disregard my post! It looks like "detail1" already summed it up before I finished. He has it all right! There is a wash system I am developing inspired by Acumulator. I will post it once I am satisfied.

ouikikazz
07-20-2009, 10:40 AM
ive read the proper washing method...and good to know on the polish and sealent, i do know that the shop polishes after a wet sand, should i tell them not to?

craigdt
07-20-2009, 02:15 PM
Read read read.

Basically, polishing removes defects, glazing covers them up. And wax/sealants seal and protect your paint.

Depending on what sort of defects you have determines what steps you need to take to correct them.