PDA

View Full Version : Exterior plastic care

06vrss
07-18-2009, 06:35 PM
Hey guys, ive tried searching this and did find a few threads but most were from like 3 years ago so i figured i ask again. My mom drives a 2005 element, you know the little boxy looking things with all that plastic! Well i washed and waxed it today but i didnt quite know what to use to revitalize the plastic panels as they are lookin pretty dull. I used PB natural look but wasnt very satisfied. What would you guys recommend? I was thinkin maybe just some tire gel but i wanted to get some "autopian" opinions first. Thanks guys

GoudyL
07-18-2009, 09:48 PM
Hey guys, ive tried searching this and did find a few threads but most were from like 3 years ago so i figured i ask again. My mom drives a 2005 element, you know the little boxy looking things with all that plastic! Well i washed and waxed it today but i didnt quite know what to use to revitalize the plastic panels as they are lookin pretty dull. I used PB natural look but wasnt very satisfied. What would you guys recommend? I was thinkin maybe just some tire gel but i wanted to get some "autopian" opinions first. Thanks guys

You can use some armor-all on them, (but it will wash off), a solvent based tire dresssing (e.g a clear silicone fluid/gel) will usually give you the best results.

You can paint them with Black Magic Titanium Matte Finish, if you want them really black.

efnfast
07-18-2009, 10:43 PM
meguiar`s 40

Accumulator
07-19-2009, 10:02 AM
I`d probably pursue a LSP-based approach. I`ve never worked on an Element, and different exterior plastics respond differently to different products, but *some* combo oughta work OK.

The safest bets would be either the Klasse twins, or KAIOI topped with Collinite 845.

Some plastics do OK with ZAIO, some don`t. Ditto for 1Z consumer line polishes and some other products. But 845 works fine as the LSP almost all of the time.

imported_Blake
07-19-2009, 10:39 AM
I still like Poorboy`s Trim Restorer on exterior vinyl surfaces......haven`t had great luck with PB Natural Look. Trim Restorer is a different product.

SuperBee364
07-19-2009, 10:57 AM
Usually any good oil based glaze will make exterior plastics look good.

imported_mburnickas
07-19-2009, 12:12 PM
I like CG liquid extreme shine..

nando1
07-19-2009, 12:14 PM
303 Aerospace, hands down the BEST!

imported_Blake
07-19-2009, 12:51 PM
Waterbased products (303 + Natural Look) etc will not last well on exterior vinyl.

A similar product to Poorboy`s Trim Restorer is Megs Hot shine Tire Gel.

steelwind101
07-19-2009, 04:06 PM
Sounds to me like you could also use some APC/TAW/SC Grime Remover and a soft brush to clean up the plastic first. Then apply something like PB`s Trim Restorer.

akimel
07-19-2009, 05:34 PM
I have just begun using Ultima Tire & Trim Guard Plus--definitely a product worth considering. I just applied a second coat to the windshield cowl of my S2000, which was definitely looking on the poorly side. UTTGP blackened and shined up the cowl. It looks like new. I do not know yet how long it will last--the manufacturer promises a couple months--but so far I am very pleased.

06vrss
07-19-2009, 09:04 PM
Hey thanks guys. I have Megs endurance tire gel as well as 845, i guess i will try both of them on a lower area and see which one i like better.

willtothewong
07-19-2009, 10:24 PM
I have just begun using Ultima Tire & Trim Guard Plus--definitely a product worth considering. I just applied a second coat to the windshield cowl of my S2000, which was definitely looking on the poorly side. UTTGP blackened and shined up the cowl. It looks like new. I do not know yet how long it will last--the manufacturer promises a couple months--but so far I am very pleased.

keep us updated. i`ve been looking for a good exterior trim dressing and i havent found something i like.

=D

tmg19103
07-19-2009, 10:45 PM

UTTGP is the best. Expect at least 4 months out of two coats even parked outside 24/7 and a daily driver. And no streaking down the paint from rain.