PDA

View Full Version : Newbie - Mazda / Product questions

Phillyz
07-17-2009, 11:19 AM
Hey all, I`m new to detailing, but I have been lurking these boards for a while now.

I own a 2008 Mazda 3 in Black Mica, and the paint gets beat up really easily. The swirls aren`t so obvious but are still evident, and there are a couple of RIDS and holograms in my paint.

What I`m getting at is, I`m looking for a complete arsenal to get my car shining, and I`m not sure which Buffer / Pads / Compound that I should purchase, and if anyone has a recommendation on a way to tackle a paint correction. I could really use the advice, and a list of the products that I should buy to get my car looking brand new again.

Thanks! :xyxthumbs

GoCubsGo
07-17-2009, 11:56 AM
Here`s a real useful thread. Check out the "products" section for recommendations ( http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/108836-helpful-threads-newbies.html ).

Phillyz
07-17-2009, 12:16 PM
Muchas gracias amigito

Accumulator
07-17-2009, 01:39 PM
PhillyZ- One bit of general advice: I`d concentrate on the wash more than anything else. People sometimes get all caught up in the polishing/waxing and don`t consider that if the paint gets marred up again right away then all that polishing/waxing was basically wasted time/effort/clearcoat.

IMO, if you get it looking OK with, say...some products that do some concealing, and then work on washing it without instilling any *new* marring, you`ll be ahead in the long run.

Phillyz
07-17-2009, 02:48 PM
PhillyZ- One bit of general advice: I`d concentrate on the wash more than anything else. People sometimes get all caught up in the polishing/waxing and don`t consider that if the paint gets marred up again right away then all that polishing/waxing was basically wasted time/effort/clearcoat.

IMO, if you get it looking OK with, say...some products that do some concealing, and then work on washing it without instilling any *new* marring, you`ll be ahead in the long run.

I try to be very thorough when I`m washing my car, using a trustworthy carwash, an extremely soft sponge and a microfiber towel to dry off. Unfortunately, before I became interested in keeping my car looking great, I used to bring it to the car wash often. The one good thing though is that the car wash I brought it to most frequently didn`t scratch or swirl my paint too much. It is the times when I was away from home and went to crappy car washes that I got RIDS, etc. etc.