PDA

View Full Version : Best OTC method to prep for Dr. Chipcolor??

GoCubsGo
07-16-2009, 08:13 PM
EDIT: My bad, it`s Dr. ColorChip, not Dr. ChipColor.

I applied Dr. ColorChip a few month`s ago and obviously did something wrong in my prep as my front bumper needs more work and all evidence of my initial application is no where to be found.

My previous prep method was a wash (MGC) and shoot the front bumper with a 50/50 IPA solution (clean MFs yada, yada, yada..). I would like to do it this weekend so I`m not looking for any prep solution I need to order online.

Any OTC methods that work? Straight up IPA??

gdal
07-16-2009, 08:24 PM
I applied Dr. Chipcolor a few month`s ago and obviously did something wrong in my prep as my front bumper needs more work and all evidence of my initial application are no where to be found.

My previous prep method was a wash (MGC) and shoot the front bumper with a 50/50 IPA solution. I would like to do it this weekend so I`m not looking for any prep solution I need to order online.

Any OTC methods that work? Straight up IPA??

This has happened to me with Dr. Chipcolor and the aftermarket paints sold at Autozone, Pep Boys, etc. I haven`t had this issue with any OEM paint sold at the dealerships. Maybe it`s a better paint ... dunno. You have to really clean the chip before you apply the primer so the paint sticks really good.

G

gtppilot
07-17-2009, 08:21 AM
A thorough scrub with a heavy concentration of Dawn dishwashing liquid worked well for me. Some of the stuff body shops use to remove wax and stuff ought to be even better. Pre-Kleeno or something like that ?

Bigpoppa3346
07-17-2009, 08:26 AM
It`s Dr. Colorchip, not Dr. Chipcolor.

To those with issues with the paint lasting, how many coats of paint did you apply?