PDA

View Full Version : New Detailer Needs Advice

beastykato
07-15-2009, 11:04 PM
Ok, so I bought my first car a year ago, a 2008 red Honda Civic. It shines fairly well and I do wash it regularly but never did anything too serious to protect the paint. I want to get that great shine that I see on so many cars on here though!

My detailing knowledge is very small. I understand things are applied in a specific order wash/cleaner/polish/sealer etc. but have no idea what would be best for my car.

I am kinda poor being in college and all still so I don`t want to spend too much on the materials although I do want to get a car polisher, which I am willing to spend 100-150 on that piece. I figure that will stay with me for a long time so it`s worth the investment.

So far what I usually do to my car is just clay bar it and then apply NXT tech wax after I wash the car. I don`t really see a huge difference between a panel that the NXT is on versus a washed and clayed panel though. So, I`m thinking I need a good polish to make it pop?

I was thinking of buying this

Amazon.com: Sonus SFX Ultimate Detailing Machine by Porter Cable Car Polisher Kit: Automotive (http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Detailing-Machine-Porter-Polisher/dp/B0017OZLJI/ref=sr_1_23?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1247720028&sr=1-23)

Is that a good deal? Is there a better polisher combo on the market for cheaper? I see there are a few discounts offered for being a member here so if one of those could be recommended instead that would be appreciated!

wahchile
07-16-2009, 11:54 AM
The porter cable 7424XP has been recently compared against the UDM. You can find it here:

Dual Action Orbital Polishers and pads: Porter Cable 7424 : Porter Cable 7424XP: Lake Country Buffing Foam Pads (http://www.autogeek.net/dual-action-polishers.html)

It seems to have more power than the UDM and malfunction less (although the XP just came out about a month ago I think and has not been put through many trials, the original 7424 has).

Double Dizzle
07-16-2009, 01:45 PM
You could probably get your hands on a new or used 7424 right now for a pretty good price somewhere. I am a beginner as well and just got my DA...now I`m about to purchase the polishes, pads, etc.