PDA

View Full Version : Advice on sealant

Pages : [1] 2 3

MaxdOut
07-14-2009, 09:33 PM
Looking for advice on paint sealant. Interested in more logevity and protection as well as easy on and off since my dad will be using it as well.

So I think I`ve narrowed it down to these three, not sure if there is anything else that should be considered.

Optimum Opti-Seal

Ultima Paint Guard Plus

Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0

Any thought on which would be better? Also would any of these not stain black trim?

nosbusa1700
07-14-2009, 09:51 PM
Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 gives a great look. The paint will be very, very slick, it also last a long time as well. I just did one of my cars with Wolfgang DGPS, and I was very pleased with the results.

Opti-seal is also very good, but not as slick. jmo

Neither stain the trim.

I haven`t used Ultima.

About Wolfgang DGPS.

Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 is a water-based, oxygen activated paint sealant. After buffing off the sealant, the remaining coating needs to cure for 12 hours in dry conditions to fully bond to the paint. Exposure to moisture during this time will drown the polymers. For the best results, allow 12 hours of curing time.

MaxdOut
07-14-2009, 10:07 PM
I do most of my washing at my parents place (less bugs and mosquito, plus bigger working area), so that means at the end of the day I need to drive home. Can I apply Wolfgand and drive home (obviously not in the rain) or does it need to sit directly after applying for 12 hours?

Legacy
07-14-2009, 10:08 PM
+1 on Wolfgang. Can`t beat OS and UPGP for ease. WOWA takes 10mins. to do the whole car and will not stain trim.

GoudyL
07-14-2009, 10:22 PM
Turtle Wax Ice Polish would be ideal since its so easy to use, and it acts as a dressing (rather than staining) plastic/rubber trim. Good Stuff.

Legacy
07-14-2009, 10:35 PM
Turtle Wax Ice Polish would be ideal since its so easy to use, and it acts as a dressing (rather than staining) plastic/rubber trim. Good Stuff.

Have you tried Wolfgang 3.0?

nosbusa1700
07-14-2009, 10:36 PM
I do most of my washing at my parents place (less bugs and mosquito, plus bigger working area), so that means at the end of the day I need to drive home. Can I apply Wolfgand and drive home (obviously not in the rain) or does it need to sit directly after applying for 12 hours?

I normally apply the Wolfgang DGPS either in the morning, (when I know it won`t rain) or late in the day, when I can let it sit in the garage that night.

Wash it at your parents house, and when you get home use a QD to remove the bugs, then apply the Wolfgang. Remove after 20 mins. It`s very easy to remove. Let it sit overnight and you`re good to go.

Or if you know it`s not going to rain you could always apply it at your parents house, and drive it home (during the day) but I imagine if you`re driving at night you will get a lot of bugs.

It`s not really that big of a deal as it sounds to be. You should be fine whichever way you decide to do. As long as the car doesn`t get wet, or dew doesn`t settle on the car.

If you have a garage that`s a plus.

MaxdOut
07-15-2009, 06:38 AM
Good point about the bugs. I go through a forest preserve to get back home, so bugs happen. The car does sit at the parents house for about 4 hours prior to driving home.

Thats Fresh
07-15-2009, 07:21 AM
no love for CG JetSeal109?

imported_Blake
07-15-2009, 08:16 AM
No mention of Werkstat Acryllic???

akimel
07-15-2009, 08:16 AM
I have been using Ultima Paint Guard Plus on my wife`s cars, first the silver-green Taurus and now the glacier blue CR-V. It is the easiest sealant I have ever used--ten minutes to seal the CR-V sounds about right--and leaves a fine shine.

But it is important to follow the directions. I would also recommend reading the Autopia webpage devoted to the product (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/ult-1012-100.html). UPGP was recently reviewed on another popular detailing site, but the reviewer did not follow the directions and then complained about application problems and streaking. UPGP is wipe-on and walk away. Just let it sit for an hour before touching it or driving the car.

I do not know how UPGP compares with Wolfgang 3.0 in terms of shine, gloss, and wetness nor have I tested its durability. I usually re-seal after 8 weeks, even though the sealant appears to be still present. Before I purchased UPGP I had used NXT and Collinite 845 on the Taurus. UPGP certainly looked as good if not better on it.

I am very happy with UPGP. It is ridiculously easy to use. The less time I have to spend waxing my wife`s car, the better.

MaxdOut
07-15-2009, 07:31 PM
Does UPGP stain black plastic or rubber?

Since Wolfgang 3.0 does not stain black plastic and rubber, is it advisable to apply it to those areas for protection?

akimel
07-15-2009, 07:37 PM
Does UPGP stain black plastic or rubber?

No. IME, UGPG does not stain trim.

From the Autopia website:

Can Ultima Paint Guard Plus be used on trim/plastic surfaces, like on my SUV/truck`s plastic cladding?

Yes, Ultima Paint Guard Plus will seal and treat these surfaces, but we created Ultima Tire & Trim Guard Plus as the ultimate treatment for plastic and rubber.

I recentlly purchased the UTTGP, but I haven`t used it yet on our CRV, as the UPGP is so darn easy.

wascallyrabbit
07-15-2009, 07:42 PM
no fear uttgp is just as easy to use.

silkstone
07-15-2009, 07:49 PM
Go with a WOWA product in this heat..

I tried Zaino CS, and Optiseal...wasn`t blown away. I was reluctant to try Ultima UPGP.

Very glad I did, it is definitely a level above the other 2 mentioned products.