PDA

View Full Version : Leatherique and hair dryer - for how long?

Pages : [1] 2

logan2z
07-14-2009, 06:27 PM
It`s been pretty hot here in NorCal for the past couple of days and I thought it would be a good time to break out the Leatherique and treat/clean the leather seats in my car. According to the manufacturer`s directions, you can either park the car in the hot sun for a few hours to let the Rejuvinator Oil bake in, or you can cover the seats with plastic and heat with a hair dryer. I don`t really want to park my car outside in the baking sun all day, but was wondering if I could get similar results from parking in my steamy hot garage and heating the seats with a dryer. The question is, how long does one need to apply the heat from the hair dryer to get good results? I don`t think I can hold the hair dryer up for 6 hours :lol Or is a hot garage hot enough without using the dryer at all?

steelwind101
07-14-2009, 06:36 PM
Hmm, this might be the same product that was discuss the otherday when people were saying they had plenty of excess to remove so i will say the same as i did then.

If this is some kinda magic oil and not the cleaner the stage, if the seats are hot or cold, if they protected (clear plastice coated modern car leather) you are going to be wiping it off later.

If its the older style leather then heating up the leather opens it up and allows product to be obsorbed. Personally i would be gentle with the hair dryer, i have never found the need the "bake". But often just letting it get warmer in the car is enough, IME. As i said, the obsorbing wont be happening if its the modern plastic finished leather.

logan2z
07-14-2009, 06:40 PM
If its the older style leather then heating up the leather opens it up and allows product to be obsorbed. Personally i would be gentle with the hair dryer, i have never found the need the "bake". But often just letting it get warmer in the car is enough, IME. As i said, the obsorbing wont be happening if its the modern plastic finished leather.

The car is a 1995 Porsche 911, so it`s definitely not new leather. I`m guessing my hot garage might be good enough, but wanted to get some other opinions before I wasted my time.

Thats Fresh
07-14-2009, 07:48 PM
your hot garage might be warm but the letting the car sit outside is perfect. for cars that do get the leather treatment. i usually do the interiors first so while i have the doors closed and working on the rest of the car, the leatherique curing process is taking place.

Deanski
07-14-2009, 07:56 PM
The car is a 1995 Porsche 911, so it`s definitely not new leather. I`m guessing my hot garage might be good enough, but wanted to get some other opinions before I wasted my time.

Why would you want to use Leatherique on a `95 993 Porsche? :confused:

There is no need for Leatherique on Porsche leather! Even if it`s bad, it still should be cleaned mildly and use a very mild conditioner.

Which leather is in the car?

Deanski

logan2z
07-14-2009, 08:26 PM
Why would you want to use Leatherique on a `95 993 Porsche? :confused:

There is no need for Leatherique on Porsche leather! Even if it`s bad, it still should be cleaned mildly and use a very mild conditioner.

Which leather is in the car?

Deanski

I was under the impression that Leatherique is mild and completely appropriate for Porsche leather. I know many people with 993s who swear by it. I have RS sport seats in the car, which I believe are covered with the standard Porsche leather - not supple leather.

Deanski
07-14-2009, 09:01 PM
It`s overkill for Porsche leather.

You`re better off with simple products for cleaning.

Woolite mixed with distilled water is pretty much what all other leather cleaners are less fragrance and coloring.

Now, Porsche insists to use their conditioner, but it`s nothing outstanding.

I`ve used Zaino Z-10 and Z-11 (clean/condition) and "leather in a bottle" Z-11 is just that, smells like it and does a great job.

What I did find was using Sonus leather conditioner condition the leather and made it feel a bit more like it came straight from factory. Firm, yet soft, no greasy feel.

Another product used quite often is from Leather Masters.

Remember, most leather today is coated just like your paint, it has a protective coating and in time it does wear away. But the areas it does not, it tries to prevent oils and dirt entering the leather skin. Putting on Leatherique oil is just making it sit on the surface and in some cases it does get in. When it does, you should see the foam cushions I`ve inspected after, not pretty.

You want to always first clean the surface of the leather, then work anything that may have migrated into it a bit later. Woolite mixed with white cotton towels to guage your progression is a good way. Only drawback is it takes longer to dry out, so I usually do several days of cleaning, then wait a full day and treat. I`ve added disaccants on the floor and other areas to speed it up.

Test areas of the leather, if you take a drop of water and it sits on the leather, normally it`s still coated (or a false positive due to over conditioning), or if the water is absorbed, then the coating is worn away.

Sure, Leatherique works well for much older leathers. It`s a life saver for one older AM car I did where the seats were going to be recovered and I convinced the owner to allow me to try resoration with Leatherique. It was night and day! I did however, have to re-dye a few areas and that took time, but it looked like almost new (except for the normal wear of the skin) and he was blown away. Same for Hide Food, great for older leathers, not good for todays leather.

Leather Master makes good cleaning and I think a very good conditioner.

Sonus was developed by a Porsche owner and used OEM skins to test the results and smell of the result. Out of the bottle, it smells not good, but, after about 1/2 hour after closing the doors, then re-opening them, it smells like I just took delivery! Find out it works by releasing some of the trapped tanning liquor in the skin to make the leather smell the same day it did when I took delivery. Then, the feel... not greasy, or slippery at all. In fact, it made the seats feel as if they gripped you better. Just what I needed for my A.S.S. type leather seats.

Go and look at Leather Master, Sonus leather Conditioner and Zaino Z-11 "Leather in a bottle" which in my opinion does have a great leather smell, but it was a bit strong for a new 997, but may match the 993 more closely.

Regards,

Deanski

willtothewong
07-15-2009, 10:56 AM
ph crap (lol, it was supposed to be OH crap, not ph crap)

so does this mean, leatherique isnt "good" for more modern types of leather?

I have an 06 acura rsx with black leather and I just bought a leatherrique kit and i was hoping to use it.

steelwind101
07-15-2009, 11:38 AM
ph crap

so does this mean, leatherique isnt "good" for more modern types of leather?

I have an 06 acura rsx with black leather and I just bought a leatherrique kit and i was hoping to use it.

Hello!

Indeed, nothing to do with PH, its what is called conditing which is the problem! Your protected seats will NOT OBSORB any oils, it will sit on the plastic, or in the grooves and attracted dirt which will damage degrade the leather.

What you need to do is clean and protect. I dont want to be the one to pick off each product and say yeah or no. I have been doing that to others to try and get as indepth understanding of leather as i do of glazes.

But basically, somethings might be called conditioners but they are protectors. But the moment they want to add oils, protect with carnuba wax etc. avoid on modern leathers!

Geoff

judyb
07-15-2009, 01:17 PM
Totally agree steelwind

GS4_Fiend
07-15-2009, 01:55 PM
Interesting... Lexus sales leather cleaners and conditioners... That is what I use. Does Lexus have coated leathers ? Does coated leathers dries out? What do you think about the 303 Protectant product for leathers? Thanks in advance.

Deanski
07-15-2009, 03:15 PM
Interesting... Lexus sales leather cleaners and conditioners... That is what I use. Does Lexus have coated leathers ? Does coated leathers dries out? What do you think about the 303 Protectant product for leathers? Thanks in advance.

Correct, and if you read your manual it tells you to clean the leather with a mild detergent/soap. I had a SC430 with Ecru colored leather. Damn hard to keep clean all the time with the top down. I had to clean it weekly.

Yes, you can use Lexus cleaner/conditioner. The cleaner is nothing more than a Woolite/water type mix with color and sent. Not sure who they got to formulate the conditioner, but it`s mild. Same goes for Porsche, they want us to buy their product.

I stick with items known to work in the auto environment, not conditioner that originally comes from tack rooms or other leather types.

Since modern leather is treated (coated) just use a mild cleaner and a known good conditioner free of oils and kerosene etc.

So far, Sonus, Leather Masters, Zano, and a few others more designed for the automotive leather is what you want.

There is no real one product fits all in this relm, but by product knowledge and what car dealers sometimes can give you a good answer or sometimes the wrong one depending on who you speak to. It`s best to contact the USA representitive for a specific brand to see what they say and if they will warrant the use in case of issues.

Regards,

Deanski

Deanski
07-15-2009, 03:16 PM
303 is good for UV protection on dash areas, but not so great for leather. Most current leather conditioners will also have a UV block in them. I know Zaino does and I`m sure Sonus does as well.

Deanski

willtothewong
07-16-2009, 12:17 AM
Hello!

Indeed, nothing to do with PH, its what is called conditing which is the problem! Your protected seats will NOT OBSORB any oils, it will sit on the plastic, or in the grooves and attracted dirt which will damage degrade the leather.

What you need to do is clean and protect. I dont want to be the one to pick off each product and say yeah or no. I have been doing that to others to try and get as indepth understanding of leather as i do of glazes.

But basically, somethings might be called conditioners but they are protectors. But the moment they want to add oils, protect with carnuba wax etc. avoid on modern leathers!

Geoff

thanks for the info

and i had a typo, it was supposed to be OH CRAP, not PH crap hehe

damn it, so i wasted my money on my leatherique kit....

steelwind101
07-16-2009, 09:18 AM
Hi!

Oh i wondered where the PH thing came from! Maybe you can return it or put it on the trade section on here?

Maybe letherique can advise on other uses such a furniture etc?

Geoff