PDA

View Full Version : PoorBoys SSR on glass?

Finaltheorem47
07-14-2009, 06:22 AM
I have this:

Lake Country 5.5 Inch Glass Polishing Pad (http://www.autogeek.net/lc-glass-polishing-pad.html)

and also bought a bottle of glass polish, but its pretty expensive. Can I use my SSR polishes? My friend thinks I can use any of them, but since glass is especially hard, I should use SSR3.

My opinion is that SSR3 might make big scratches and the pad I have is going to do the cutting work, so I need a lubricant really, so something like SSR1 would work best. The glass polish I have though has the consistency of SSR3... you can almost feel the silicon abrasives in it.

craigdt
07-14-2009, 06:56 AM
Even though the pad will do some cutting work, you still need your polish to be able to remove whatever is in question.

Here are my experiences:

I have ground away at the windshield of my DD with a G110, orange LC and and Megs 105 and SSR 2.5 and removed next to nothing.

Now, if you up the ante with the glass polishing pad and SSR3, you might actually get somewhere.

Finaltheorem47
07-14-2009, 07:03 AM
Great! thanks, just the type of reply I was looking for.

Luckily I`m not trying to remove any severe problems and some very light water drops. I`m just trying to increase clarity and sheeting/beeding action. I`ll let you know how ssr3/ssr1 works.

I was just concerned with messing the glass up if I used a paint polish and not a special glass one.

imported_Blake
07-14-2009, 08:24 AM
I use Poorboys Professional Polish by hand on problem glass. It works well. I guess I`d be afraid that SSR3 is a bit harsh.

Let us know.

Finaltheorem47
07-14-2009, 08:29 AM
Alright, I finished buffing my glass with it. My initial impressions is that it did a good job, didn`t hurt the glass, but doesn`t appear to of been very agressive. The glass itself feels buttery smooth now though and has a great sheen.

It removed the water spots on the first pass, but I will need to inspect it more closely to see if it took out those micro swirls that the wipers and what not make on the front windshield. I`ll report back in a few hours when I finish the car.

Overall my stance would be that it exceeded my expectations.

EDIT: oh and I was using SSR3, 1.5 passes (quick one to spread it and mark the edges, then a slower one) at about 1300 rpm. I got the feeling that you need to run it faster though... maybe 1800 rpm or higher.

Dsoto87
07-14-2009, 08:46 AM
Try some m105 or the OTC ultimate compound. It makes sense that a non diminishing abrasive would work better on glass