PDA

View Full Version : help:Removing Impressions Of Old Decals

Jeff. AutoKraft
07-13-2009, 02:39 AM
Hi there,

I need a bit of advice on the best way to remove the impressions of old decals(stickers from a goverment vehicle) on the hood & sides of a vehicle im doing tomorrow. I have cleaned it up (clayed) & tried the strata compound im forced to deal with on the hood but the impression of a big eagle just stood out even more then when i initially romoved the decal....:nervous:

Thinking of taking my private stash of power gloss in just for this job but will it have the same effect??

BobD
07-13-2009, 06:07 AM
Honestly, nothing you can do. It`s just that the rest of the car is faded and the paint under the decal is like new. You can polish the rest of the vehicle and it might help a little but it`ll be there for a long time if not for ever.

Accumulator
07-13-2009, 08:56 AM
IF there`s an actual depression in the paint (following the outline of the decal), you`ll probably do much better wetsanding than compounding. The pad will just follow the contours in the paint (i.e., the depression) but a sanding block won`t.

But as Danase said, such things are usually forever and can only be solved with a (properly done, especially the prep) repaint.

Thats Fresh
07-13-2009, 09:09 AM
yup. kinda stained on there. i had the same experience with a work van that was decommisioned and had a magnet sign on the door all these years. although it was white you could still see the difference in white.

V_Eight
07-13-2009, 09:32 AM
Cover it with a new decal from me. :)

Thats Fresh
07-13-2009, 09:43 AM
ill PM you OTG. i have a few signs that id like to get a qoute for (= im always lookng for new vendors.

Jeff. AutoKraft
07-14-2009, 02:54 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone. Went to work on it thismorning for a couple of hours,wetsanding first followed by power gloss....................no luck! The eagle had landed................& decided to stay!

Showroom Shine
07-14-2009, 06:49 AM
Have you tried Izinettes Polish?

Jeff. AutoKraft
07-14-2009, 06:58 AM
Einszett wont get it out if wet sanding followed by a good compound didnt. Only answer is a respray or deal with it.

BobD
07-15-2009, 05:55 AM
Einszett wont get it out if wet sanding followed by a good compound didnt. Only answer is a respray or deal with it.

Yeppers. Or hope it fades fast and catches up with the rest of the car.