PDA

View Full Version : Applying Polish/Wax by hand

Kalon
07-12-2009, 10:22 PM
What is the best method for this? any special applicators and MF towels to remove? Open to any and all suggestions.

craigdt
07-12-2009, 10:31 PM
For most LSP`s, I like to use foam applicators. Like the 3" megs gold foam

jDizzle
07-12-2009, 10:39 PM
you`re safe with foam, or cotton cloth covered foam (like microfiber, or terry made with cotton). as for removing residue.. most bottles of wax and polish used to say to remove with a 100% cotton terry towel. but now some say with a microfiber.. i think there was recently a thread on here that was about microfiber towels removing too much wax, as in, removing more of it compared to cotton terry towels.. ive never tested it, so idk, but i use microfibers to remove residue myself.

jDizzle
07-12-2009, 10:42 PM
it your looking for good otc stuff... viking makes decent and cheap 100 % cotton terry applicators, you can get them at most autoparts stores, my local autozone sells a 6 pack for like 3 or 4 bucks. good OTC (over the counter) microfiber towels, i like the orange vroom towels from target.. viking (the company that makes the applicators i suggested) also makes decent microfibers.. lots of people like the carrand towels you can get from autopart stores, but ive never tried them.

Darkstar752
07-12-2009, 10:46 PM
I prefer by hand, just because I find it enjoyable. I use foam applicators, and buff of with a very soft microfiber.

BTW, I think applying with most towels will apply it unevenly.

scary bill
07-13-2009, 12:48 AM
I usually apply by PC as I have 2 trucks and an suv to keep waxed. By hand I use foam to apply and MF to remove.

I do have some MF applicators that work of for some stuff, they are a tad too absorbent though.

SoCalB6
07-13-2009, 01:22 AM
Foam to apply and microfiber or terry towel to remove. I feel that circular motions gets me the best coverage for application. For removal, I wipe off slow with little to no pressure. And remember, its better to apply 2 thin coats than one thick coat.

Kalon
07-13-2009, 09:14 PM
Question. Car is outside 24/7. it`s usually either raining alot or really really hot.. 95+ degrees....

is there anything that`s OTC that i could use to further protect the car? I use Meg`s NXT 2.0 and their DCS polish. Not looking for 100% more like 60-75%...and i do everything by hand.

craigdt
07-13-2009, 10:08 PM
Answer. Collinite 845.

You can get it at Harbor Freight.

Kalon
07-14-2009, 10:12 AM
Thanks craig. it`s only ~<$20 from autogeek. I`ll get it when my NXT is gone. I like to use what i buy first because I don`t have a lot of money to spend. that`s why i come to you guys.

tmg19103
07-14-2009, 02:46 PM
Even better off with a good sealant with UVA/UVB protection like UPGP below the wax.

Also, for cars that are in the sun all the time, don`t forget the plastic and rubber trim. People often forget the trim around all the windows, but over time the sun will fade and even damage this trim causing it to bubble or crack. For that I go with UT&TGP for its longevity and no streaking off with rain.

And, don`t forget to seal your wheels as the sun as well as road grime will do a job on those. I just use UPGP for that, but some highly recommend specific wheel sealers.

And then. of course, you need to protect the interior leather, vinyl, plastic, carpet, etc.

Kalon
07-14-2009, 03:09 PM
I don`t have leather as this is my first new car...I`m real young (23) but my next car will have leather and I will have either very dark tint or i will religiously care for the leather. the plastic and rubber trim...what should I use here? it`s almost a year old and still looks brand new. I do have legal tint so that helps a bit right?