PDA

View Full Version : Having trouble with holograms (video inside)

MKIVR32
07-12-2009, 02:58 PM
Ok well I started detailing a 2004 Volkswagen GTI Black. I am not going for perfect correction but I did not expect to have the trouble I am having. I just picked up the new optimum polish and compound and I am not able to finish it down correctly. It is leaving many light swirls causing holograms under direct sunlight. I searched on here and saw it takes a while to brake down so I figured I wasn`t letting it break down then that didn`t work and I thought I might be using to much product but still no luck. I took a video because I am so frustrated that I am having this problem. I will try to get pictures later if needed. I also tried using the 4 inch pads as well as the 5.5 pads by lc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

YouTube - MVI 0950 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFvaPszyfvE)

imported_DetailDan
07-12-2009, 03:23 PM
Slow down a little bit and work it for a couple more minutes. Finish with optimum polish and a blue pad.

dheath
07-12-2009, 03:46 PM
technique looks ok to me, maybe you do need to work it in for a little bit longer. You could try to slow your movements too though. Im not too familiar with VW paint, but I get OP to finish down on everything I`ve tried it on using a white 4" LC. Maybe easy up on the pressure as your get towards the end?

The only thing I don`t do is turn the speed down for a final pass... but I`m not sure if thats the problem or not...

MKIVR32
07-12-2009, 04:00 PM
Ok well I went out and tried again. This time at speed 5 and worked in a slower motion and for probably another 2 mins. The long type swirls are gone but no there a bunch of tight nit swirls creating a duller finish. I tried stepping it down with a gray 5.5 pad and no luck. This is driving me crazy.:angry