PDA

View Full Version : carnuba wax

Pages : [1] 2

johnp66
07-11-2009, 09:22 PM
Does carnuba wax have a shelf life and if so how long ?

and if you are going to layer it how long should tou wait between layers ?

BigAl3
07-11-2009, 11:18 PM
the shelf life is usually 3-5 years, but can be longer or shorter depending on the environment it is stored (not too cold or hot). IME, i like pastes as they don`t tend to seperate more easily like a liquid would...

BigAl3
07-12-2009, 12:04 AM
the shelf life is usually 3-5 years, but can be longer or shorter depending on the environment it is stored (not too hot or cold conditions). IME, i like pastes as they don`t tend to seperate more easily like a liquid would...

Legacy
07-12-2009, 12:15 AM

and if you are going to layer it how long should tou wait between layers ?You really can`t layer nuba`s, as the solvents will remove some of the previous layer. Two coats for complete coverage is the norm. You can try spit shinning, by using cold water when applying over an existing coat. The cold water will harden the base coat and help disperse the solvents in the newly applied nuba.

Accumulator
07-12-2009, 11:47 AM

IME no, they last indefinitely as long as not exposed to truly extreme temperatures (high or low). Gotta keep the containers sealed up nice and tight though.

Examples:

-I get over a decade`s use out of a can of Meguiar`s #16 and the last bit is just as good as the first.

-I have a can of ProWax from the late `70s that still seems fine.

-My little jar of Zymol Detail wax from the mid-`80s is still good even though it has a nasty crack in its lid.

-A while back, Superior Fine detailed an old hood using Meguiar`s products from the *1960s* :eek: Turned out fine.

.. if you are going to layer it how long should tou wait between layers ?

Better spit-shine if you want to layer carnaubas. Some of them do seem to layer, but many don`t.

salty
07-12-2009, 01:50 PM
I just opened up a can of Classic wax yesterday, that I`ve had for about 10 years, and besides some shrinkage it still went on and off easy.

scary bill
07-12-2009, 11:55 PM
I keep mine out of the extreme temps, I have some stuff older than 5 years. It still works like new.

sus195
07-13-2009, 12:39 AM
my zymol says to refrigerate after opening. dosent that increase shelf life?

Finaltheorem47
07-13-2009, 03:20 AM
Refrigerating it probably increases the half-life of that radioactive stuff. ^

Accumulator
07-13-2009, 10:03 AM
my zymol says to refrigerate after opening. dosent that increase shelf life?

Noting that any special handling advice might just be some CYA...since Zymol makes a big deal out of "natural ingredients", maybe refrigeration is more desirable with their stuff than with some other waxes :nixweiss

SuperBee364
07-13-2009, 11:52 AM
I just opened up a can of Classic wax yesterday, that I`ve had for about 10 years, and besides some shrinkage it still went on and off easy.

Yeah, shrinkage does seem to be age related.

I have some Meg`s stuff from the mid 80`s that still appears to be usable.

Less
07-13-2009, 12:25 PM
Yeah, shrinkage does seem to be age related.

Was that an intentional double entendre?

Legacy
07-13-2009, 12:56 PM

Good one Less;)

SuperBee364
07-13-2009, 01:50 PM

I was looking for a "tongue in cheek" smilie without success.... ;)

GoudyL
07-13-2009, 06:31 PM
Noting that any special handling advice might just be some CYA...since Zymol makes a big deal out of "natural ingredients", maybe refrigeration is more desirable with their stuff than with some other waxes :nixweiss

Car wax can get moldy, which is both impressive and depressing at the same time. :grrr