PDA

View Full Version : Tried out Chemical Guys 5050 and Jet Seal Today

Andrew C.
07-11-2009, 06:35 PM
I got my chemical guys 5050 and Jet Seal in today. I did a wax comparison test with them but I ran into a little issue with it.

I have pictures that I will post later but I compared Jet Seal to M20 and NXT 2.0. I compared 5050 to M26 and M16. I also did a comparison of 5050 M16 and m26 on top of NXT 2.0 and 5050 M16 and m26 on top of Jet Seal.

When they were all dry and wiped away I took my truck into the sun and observed. To be completely honest, I couldn`t even tell the different between the areas with wax or sealant to the areas with no wax or sealant. I clayed the area beforehand to remove any existing wax there was....

I`m kinda stumped as to how I couldn`t see a difference in any of these waxes or sealants.

imported_sal329
07-11-2009, 07:07 PM
Waxes and sealants add a lil bit to the look of the paint. I have noticed a lil more wetness with certain waxes or sealants and added depth with others.

Andrew C.
07-11-2009, 08:19 PM
I know what you are talking about sal, but the strange thing was that I couldn`t discern any difference at all.

Shouldn`t I be seeing some difference? Maybe I should IPA wipedown an area to ensure all the previous wax is gone?

GoudyL
07-11-2009, 08:33 PM
Ummmm, if the paint is perfectly smooth (did you polish it) these are going to look pretty similar.

Ditto for appling anything on top of a sealant which is itself on smooth paint.

Andrew C.
07-12-2009, 10:33 AM
I`ll get some pics up later this week and see if you guys can tell the difference.

scary bill
07-13-2009, 12:36 AM
How big were the test areas. I can usually see the difference if I do a 1/4 of the whole truck.

Also many products look *extremely* similar. M26 and nxt on some colors look the same in most lighting.

I compared EX-P, 845, M26 and Danse Paste wax on the same truck last year. EX-P was very mirror-like, i liked it until cloudy days because the blue truck looked grayish. 845 is bright and "thick" looking and it didn`t wash out like EX-p. M26 was slightly darker than the others and glowed at dusk. The danase wax seemed to not darken the paint like M26, but really glowed at dusk. In full sun the metallic really popped.

The point to my rambling is there are differences, some are hard to spot. Even harder on small sections of flat panels. My advise is play with then a lot more.

Andrew C.
07-13-2009, 02:04 AM
I`ll get the pics up tomorrow maybe, I think my test areas were maybe too small, they were about a square foot or a little more each. Maybe I should do half the truck in one and half the truck in the other?

I also think my truck is one of those colors that may be hard to tell differences, it is a lighter charcoal 2003 F150

OCKlasse
07-13-2009, 02:41 AM
A wise man once said, "It`s all in the prep."