PDA

View Full Version : Why are nubas so popular other than looks?

Pages : [1] 2

zoomzoom3
07-10-2009, 11:59 PM
I`ve always wondered this. I know a quality nuba looks nicer than a sealant, but 4-6 weeks of protection from a nuba is nothing compared to 4-6 months protection of a quality sealant. I`m not slamming nubas by any means, b/c I used to use Pinnacle Souveran, but applying it every month got really annoying.

scary bill
07-11-2009, 01:01 AM
Mainly its the certain look they provide. Collinite is one wax that had some staying power.

tom p.
07-11-2009, 03:53 AM
Ease of application

warmth/glow

often a dramatic initial slickness

owner seeking to bond with car more often

broad selection of hi quality products

You don`t use carnauba `cause you`re looking for longevity, Zoom!

blucpe
07-11-2009, 05:43 AM
Ease of application

warmth/glow

i could`nt have said it better.

Bigpoppa3346
07-11-2009, 05:51 AM
Ease of application

warmth/glow

+1

You just don`t bond with your car with a sealant the same way you do when applying a nice nuba paste.

I even appreciate the carnauba look on lighter colors, something like Collinite has that carnauba glow but with better durability than many sealants.

AeroCleanse
07-11-2009, 06:34 AM
I`ve always wondered this. I know a quality nuba looks nicer than a sealant, but 4-6 weeks of protection from a nuba is nothing compared to 4-6 months protection of a quality sealant. I`m not slamming nubas by any means, b/c I used to use Pinnacle Souveran, but applying it every month got really annoying.

I get closer to 5 months from my `nuba.

a.k.a. Patrick
07-11-2009, 08:51 AM
I probably havent used a nuba in 4 years............

gmblack3
07-11-2009, 09:14 AM
With sealants like Z5pro and Blackfire Wet Diamond I have no need for a carnuba.

imported_Gears
07-11-2009, 09:37 AM
Nubas are just more fun to use ! :heelclick

GoudyL
07-11-2009, 10:09 AM
Marketing mostly, and "Carnauba" becomes a code word for certain aspects of the product. It is usually not the critical ingredient, or could be replaced with something equivalent with little if any loss of functionality.

Creamy consistency

Nice smell (usu fruity or tropical)

Tends to Haze

Forms a thick film, with slightly variable thickness.

steck
07-11-2009, 10:19 AM
i actually like the blends..

i`m using TWUP steady, and cant see a forseeble change anytime soon.

cant believe what it does on black.

Accumulator
07-11-2009, 10:40 AM
Besides the look...

Some of my waxes last a good long time, #16 and the old version of 3M Showcar Paste come to mind (I consider Collinites to be wax/sealant hybrids).

Waxes seem to shed water better than some sealants and to better do the "self-cleaning in the rain" thing.

Some waxes seem to provide better protection against bird-bombs and bug-guts than certain sealants.

With regard to minor marring, waxes do a bit of conealing whereas sealants make the marring *more* obvious.

Some waxes (e.g., Souveran) seem to work better on surfaces that aren`t ususally LSPed (e.g., exterior rubber trim)

Waxes are less finicky about bonding with underlying products.

Some waxes are easier to use than most sealants.

And as Gears noted, they`re just more fun for me to work with :D I like how they smell and how the application/removal process goes. Subjective? Sure..but when *I* am the subject in question, well, that matters ;)

smokin180
07-11-2009, 01:02 PM
Perfectly stated Accumulator.:2thumbs:

rbruditt
07-11-2009, 03:03 PM
in my experience Zymol Titanium carnauba wax has a great shine and lasts a very long time for a carnauba wax. it is actually designed for daily drivers and lots of highway use.

GS4_Fiend
07-11-2009, 03:51 PM
I say if you are an enthusiast about looks good for carnuba. If you are lazy, go for sealant.

BTW, I wax my car every 2 weeks. :secret