PDA

View Full Version : Fresh from the body shop

Pages : [1] 2

regal
07-10-2009, 12:42 PM
I just got my Toyota back from the body shop, they ended up painting half the car. I asked them if they used heat cure enamel , heat cured urethane, or air dry urethane. The guy could only say we use factory spec paint.

So when can I start polishing, Klasse AOI & Klasse acrylic on this. Do I wait a day, a week, a month ?

SuperBee364
07-10-2009, 12:51 PM
I think conventional wisdom is that you can *polish* it now, but do not use any sort of sealant or wax for 90 days. The amount of time is variable according to type of clear coat, temperature, humidity, etc., but 90 days (this time of year) should be more than long enough.

BobD
07-10-2009, 12:58 PM
I think conventional wisdom is that you can *polish* it now, but do not use any sort of sealant or wax for 90 days. The amount of time is variable according to type of clear coat, temperature, humidity, etc., but 90 days (this time of year) should be more than long enough.

Agreed.

And even if the body shop used heat to cure it I`d still wait the 90 days.

regal
07-10-2009, 01:02 PM
Its odd because the paint we use on the motorcycles where I work can be waxed day 1. An Acrylic Melamine cured in an oven is cured out of the oven and will not cure any further at room temperature.

I guess these urethanes are different animals.

SuperBee364
07-10-2009, 01:11 PM
They are. And the damage caused by putting wax/sealant on too soon can not be fixed; it`s gas bubbles that get trapped in the paint as it tries to off-gas as it cures. It makes the clear coat look milky.

regal
07-10-2009, 02:29 PM
What about tar and bugs, I would imagine leaving tar on the urethane could cause permanent damage, whats the best way to remove tar on fresh urethane?

SuperBee364
07-10-2009, 08:01 PM
I don`t think that it`s chemical resistance ability changes as it cures at all. Whatever is clear coat safe will be fine. It`s just the off gassing that causes the sealant/wax problem, not any susceptibility to chemicals.

Flashtime
07-10-2009, 08:12 PM
Which model/year?

What was repainted?

How many coats of clear? Which clear?

How much was the job?

tmg19103
07-10-2009, 08:31 PM
I just got my rear bumper re-painted. No wax or sealant for at least 60 days and 90 to be safe according to the owner of the body shop (top notch operation).

However, since the paint is dry, silicone and chemicals are not an issue. Any true QD (no wax or sealers in it) is fine, and he OK`d OID that I am currently using. The paint will still offgas with a QD. You just don`t want to seal it in with a wax or sealant until this process is complete.

regal
07-11-2009, 12:41 AM
My answers in red

[quote name=`Flashtime`]Which model/year? 09 Toyota Yaris

What was repainted? Hood, Grill, Rt Door and QP, Rt Fender

How many coats of clear? Which clear? Unknown, they just said it is to factory toyota specs, it was done by the dealer)[/COLOR

]How much was the job?[COLOR="DarkRed"]new hood, new fender painted half the car where the dear scratched up the doors and QP, new grill, new rad/condesor support, $5k/QUOTE]

regal
07-11-2009, 12:45 AM
I The paint will still offgas with a QD. You just don`t want to seal it in with a wax or sealant until this process is complete.

What is a QD? can you recommend a product. I really want to get the tar off without damaging the paint. I am afraid if I wait 90 days to remove the bugs and tar along the rocker oanels it will stain. Can I just use generic bug and tar remover?

efnfast
07-11-2009, 01:16 AM
What is a QD? can you recommend a product. I really want to get the tar off without damaging the paint. I am afraid if I wait 90 days to remove the bugs and tar along the rocker oanels it will stain. Can I just use generic bug and tar remover?

Before i started detailing my dad`s cars, he`d leave bugs, tar and a whole heck of a lot worse on them for 18 to 20months at a time. You`ll be fine.

Anyways, why do you want to start polishing a brand new (partial, heh) paint job. It hsould have been wetsanded and buffed properly in the first place - if there`s marring or something on the paint when you picked it up, you should have demanded they do it properly.

regal
07-11-2009, 01:31 AM
Before i started detailing my dad`s cars, he`d leave bugs, tar and a whole heck of a lot worse on them for 18 to 20months at a time. You`ll be fine.

Anyways, why do you want to start polishing a brand new (partial, heh) paint job. It hsould have been wetsanded and buffed properly in the first place - if there`s marring or something on the paint when you picked it up, you should have demanded they do it properly.

First of all no insurance paid body shop will wetsand and polish, that is just crazy talk. Wet sand polish buffing out orange peel is for the $5k paint jobs.

Taking out the parts this paint job was probably $1000 for half the car.

Second I want wax on the paint to protect it, we have a lot of tar on these roads and it can stain the paint without a wax protecting the top layer.

efnfast
07-11-2009, 01:32 AM
First of all no insurance paid body shop will wetsand and polish, that is just crazy talk. Wet sand polish buffing out orange peel is for the $5k paint jobs.

Taking out the parts this paint job was probabply $700.

Second I want wax on the paint to protect it, we have a lot of tar on these roads and it can stain the paint without a wax protecting the top layer.

Find a better shop; mine did for me.

regal
07-11-2009, 01:37 AM
Find a better shop; mine did for me.

Toyota doesn`t wetsand and polish after painting their new Yarii, all the inssurance pays for is factory spec, the rest is up to me and my porter.