PDA

View Full Version : Proper use of Danase Wet Glaze

Pages : [1] 2

Rare Three Six
07-07-2009, 10:26 PM
One of my purchases earlier last year was DWG; which I heard rave reviews of and figured what the hell I`ll get myself a bottle. I tried it on my black pearl passat and didn`t notice any difference. Paint was clean, and added wax after it and still no difference... so havent used it until about a month ago. I brought it out again figuring maybe it`s just me. tried it on my brothers 92` solid black 240sx. The spot where i applied was much darker and had a nice shine to it... ah ha so it does work... now both those cars had a clear coat... so why don`t I notice anything with my VW?

Legacy
07-07-2009, 10:36 PM
It`s all in the prep. Your brother`s paint was probably in better shape than yours.

Rare Three Six
07-07-2009, 11:31 PM
no complete opposite, i spent 9 hours preping my paint ipa wipe down before applying, while on my brothers that was completly neglected.... washed with dawn and ipa wipe down, not even clayed.

black03mach
07-08-2009, 03:38 PM
no complete opposite, i spent 9 hours preping my paint ipa wipe down before applying, while on my brothers that was completly neglected.... washed with dawn and ipa wipe down, not even clayed.

a glaze is used to fill in minor imperfections, hence why you saw a big difference on your car vs your brothers car. The wax is going to be the same thing, on a perfect surface wax will do nothing but protect...maybe have a "nuance" but other than that like the saying goes its all in the prep

tmg19103
07-08-2009, 06:31 PM
a glaze is used to fill in minor imperfections, hence why you saw a big difference on your car vs your brothers car. The wax is going to be the same thing, on a perfect surface wax will do nothing but protect...maybe have a "nuance" but other than that like the saying goes its all in the prep

True, but DWG has very little filling abilities for a glaze.

I have found DWG as a stand alone is actually kind of dull on my jet black car. Where I have used it with success in the past is below UPGP. It really seems to improve the look of UPGP if apllied under it.

And yes, UPGP is a unique WOWA sealant that you can apply over DWG without removing it.

fergnation
07-08-2009, 07:17 PM
DWG tends to work better with colors other than black. When it comes to the color of black you really tend to go for two different looks (reflective or pooling). With colors such as red or blue and even silver you can get more of a "wet" look to them. `Hence Danase Wet Glaze.

In my experience DWG is best used with colors other than black.

Mr. Vapor
07-08-2009, 07:51 PM
I`m the new guy, so humor me with this admittedly novice question:

Glaze is strictly cosmetic, no? It offers zero paint protection properties.

The correct order is:

Polish ---> Wax ----> Glaze.

mikenap
07-08-2009, 07:55 PM
Polish--->glaze--->wax

wascallyrabbit
07-08-2009, 07:56 PM
The correct order is:

Polish ---> Wax ----> Glaze.

can be.

or what a lot of people use is polish, glaze, wax/sealant. some will add another layer of glaze on top of the wax. just depends on the look your trying to achieve.

Mr. Vapor
07-08-2009, 08:01 PM
ok, i always thought wax came first, but then wondered: "if i just waxed my car, how will the glaze penetrate the new layer of wax to aid in shine?"

02zx9r
07-08-2009, 08:31 PM
some people put another layer of the glaze before a car night or show, to really bring out the wet look.

And you are correct, glaze will offer zero protection. Maybe a tad for a day or so till it wears off

SuperBee364
07-08-2009, 11:12 PM
some people put another layer of the glaze before a car night or show, to really bring out the wet look.

And you are correct, glaze will offer zero protection. Maybe a tad for a day or so till it wears off

That`s true with the vast majority of glazes out there, but Danase Wet Glaze is the exception. It leaves a sealant LSP behind.

As to the muting of the black car, that has me stumped. I have yet to find a car or a color that didn`t get extra zing from DWG. Yup, it`s true that it has just about zero filling abilities, but every time I`ve used it, I`ve gotten a nice pop on the shine.

And another +1 to the regular order being polish->glaze->wax.

DWG is my go-to product before I use a sealant. And it smells like grapes! You just can`t beat that. :)

Mr. Vapor
07-09-2009, 06:43 AM
ok so now i`m really confused.

Polish --> Glaze --> Wax --> SEALANT??? (I thought wax was the last step!)

further more, i would assume the DWG would be applied with a black finishing pad at a high speed?

02zx9r
07-09-2009, 07:29 AM
That`s true with the vast majority of glazes out there, but Danase Wet Glaze is the exception. It leaves a sealant LSP behind.

As to the muting of the black car, that has me stumped. I have yet to find a car or a color that didn`t get extra zing from DWG. Yup, it`s true that it has just about zero filling abilities, but every time I`ve used it, I`ve gotten a nice pop on the shine.

And another +1 to the regular order being polish->glaze->wax.

DWG is my go-to product before I use a sealant. And it smells like grapes! You just can`t beat that. :)

Thanks for the correction. Pinnacle XMT Carnauba finishing glaze is another that leaves some protection.

SuperBee364
07-09-2009, 07:39 AM
ok so now i`m really confused.

Polish --> Glaze --> Wax --> SEALANT??? (I thought wax was the last step!)

further more, i would assume the DWG would be applied with a black finishing pad at a high speed?

A sealant and a wax are both Last Step Products. You don`t need to use both of them. You can if you *want* to, but if you`re going to use them both, it is a good rule of thumb that the wax must go over the sealant.

This can complicate things if you also want to use a glaze, as most glazes require a wax directly over the top of them, as sealants will not bind to oily glazes. Danase Wet Glaze is an exception, as it is a sealant based glaze. Hope this helps.

I apply DWG with a PC at speed six with a zero cut pad.

Thanks for the correction. Pinnacle XMT Carnauba finishing glaze is another that leaves some protection.

That`s one I still need to try. :)