PDA

View Full Version : Megs Wheel Brightener not cutting embedded brake dust...any ideas?

AGAuto
07-07-2009, 01:41 PM
I was doing a wash & wax on a 2007 LR3 today which had pretty bad embedded brake dust, so I chose to use Megs WB to cut it, diluted 4:1. I sprayed it on, let it sit for a minute, then went at it with a couple brushes. However, after hosing off the wheel, I noticed that it only removed about half of the brake dust. So, I repeated the process and got no where with it.

Am I doing something wrong? I know that the customer did not want his wheels "perfect" and was only concerned about the interior & body of the car, but I would have liked them to be.

For those that use it...how long do you let it sit, what kind of brushes do you use, and do you get all the embedded brake dust off all the time?

I appreciate any help...

Balthazarr
07-07-2009, 01:45 PM
I tried using clay and some GooGone to remove tar which didn`t work well.

The brake dust just sits baked into the clearcoat.

It`s infuriating to work hard on wheels and not have them turn out somewhat dust free.

maarten22
07-07-2009, 01:49 PM
Try some apc plus and let it soak for a while. Wheelbrightener comes of the wheels quit quickly. Apc plus sticks a bit better. And if the wheels are in good condition without rock chips etc try some undiluted wb

Slik560
07-07-2009, 01:51 PM
You might try a more aggressive clay. If the brake dust has been allowed to sit for a long time, (no fault of yours) it may not completely come out. As you said, it could be baked-in. I`ve had luck with stubborn spots by claying the normal way first, then coming back and pushing the clay into the remaining spots and pulling it straight off.

AGAuto
07-07-2009, 02:34 PM
is using clay time effective though? I bought WB in hopes of reducing the amount of time I spend on each wheel...and if I used clay on the 10 spoke wheels I did today, I have a feeling i`d be there forever.

MarcHarris
07-07-2009, 03:00 PM
i agree with the comments about brake dust being cooked on/ into the clear. Sure I love Meg`s WB, and it is harsh stuff compared to other wheel cleaners, but the owner surely hasn`t taken care of their wheels. I`m sure on other vehicles you`ll have better results, but some people`s wheels (and / or paint) is beyond help. Not your fault.

Aggressive clay might help, but I`d never go that far unless the client says they want the wheels perfect and are willing to spend the money for the extra time involved.

+1 it`s frustrating when things don`t come out perfect and u spend lots of time on them...

AeroCleanse
07-07-2009, 03:31 PM
Check out P21S Wheel Gel