PDA

View Full Version : Best Leather Cleaner

Pages : [1] 2

killerGLI
07-07-2009, 10:38 AM
Hey everybody, I have been cruising around the site for a while but just recently became a member. I am relatively new to detailing but have a little experience. My one major problem is that when I try to clean the leather, it doesnt seem to get as clean as I would like. What do you professionals do to get really soiled leather clean? I use Lexol cleaner, but it doesn`t seem to do very much. What do you all suggest I do and is there another process/product I should be using? :think:

Also, I have been wondering if it would be worth it to buy M105 and M205. I am currently using Swirlx and 3M Rubbing Compound. Would it make a big different or be easier to do corrections with M105 and M205? I have heard a lot of great things about these two, but they dont sell them in stores around here (Greenville NC) so I would have to order them. Oh yea and would it be worth it to buy a car jack and jack stands to clean rims in and out?

kaotikdt
07-07-2009, 11:02 AM
First of all hello and welcome, while I don`t consider an expert definitely hanging out I`ve learned a lot, and everyday i learn something interesting. As of your questions, I haven`t used Lexol so I really can`t tell you why you are not getting results. A lot of people use it so I assume you must be doing something wrong. The type of leather and your procedure plays a lot. At the moment I use Adam`s Leather and Vinyl, good stuff but I`m switching to Leather Master, Leatherique is a great product too (I`ve heard and seen) another product I`m soon to get.

For heavily soiled leather I use a brush in order to agitate the cleaner and help work it in. I suggest searching a little more, there are plenty of help here. Read through the professional before and after, great stuff there and always procedures done, that way you get an idea.

As of M105 and 205 get em, good stuff I use it myself and is good for newbies too. good luck and stick around.

steelwind101
07-07-2009, 11:05 AM
On the leather front i can recommend to you two products that i have used from all of the ones i have used that work really well.

- Wolfgang Leather Cleaner. You spray it on the seat etc. and then aggitate with a small brush for really dirty leather. A small foam begins to form which helps to work in to the little cracks on the leather. Soon the foam turns grey or brown depending on how dirty the seats are. Very effective, very good cleaner.

You can also spray Wolfgang Leather Cleaner on the seats then wipe with an MF for less dirty jobs.

- Chemical Guys Leather Cleaner. Very cheap, very very effective cleaner. I have noticed on darker leathers, if you let it sit before aggitating it, on purpose or by accidents you will get marks on the seats. I presume where it has cleaned, or where the cleaner has dried. Going over the area again with the leather cleaner sorts this out. Only noticed that issue with this product!

Geoff

cptzippy
07-07-2009, 06:19 PM
I tried Lexol because it came highly recommended. I wasn`t particularly impressed. Didn`t seem to clean well and seemed to leave a `residue` (for lack of better word).

Trying Leather Master right now and it`s been pretty good. I`ll have to try the Wolfgang stuff later, sounds interesting.

imported_Jakerooni
07-07-2009, 06:22 PM
Woolite diluted 10:1 seems to work quite well for most leather issues I`ve come across. That and a Steamer and you just can`t go wrong.

mct601
07-07-2009, 06:29 PM
I wasn`t impressed with the times I tried Lexol either, I also experienced the residue/grease.

Is Poorboy`s leatherstuff a good all-in-one solution for quick leather cleaning/conditioning jobs?

nosbusa1700
07-07-2009, 06:49 PM
Lexol worked great for me on my gray leather. It cleaned/removed the dirt and grime other products I tried couldn`t.

killerGLI
07-07-2009, 08:56 PM
Thank you everybody for your advice. I think I will go with the Wolfgang leather cleaner. My mom has a clothes steamer that I borrow sometimes, it works to an extent but to be honest i feel like i dont get everything that I could out of it. I just strap a microfiber to the end then rub the leather with the steamer on. Is that all i need to do or is there more to it than that?

08xB
07-07-2009, 09:11 PM
+1 for Chemical Guy`s Leather Cleaner!

Quality Leather
07-07-2009, 09:29 PM
Search on some of my posts. The woolite or Joy cleaner and a scotch brite pad is all you need.

Don`t use a steamer. If you don`t know what you are doing, then you can damage the coating.

Superdutytd
07-07-2009, 11:55 PM
Adam`s Leather Cleaner does an awesome job...

zoomzoom3
07-07-2009, 11:58 PM
I really like ease of use when it comes to leather, so I use Pinnacle Leather Cleaner & Conditioner.

It`s a 2-in-1 product & you just spray it on, buff it with a MF towel.

yo2tup
07-08-2009, 01:21 AM
leatherique RO and PC are incredible. the RO needs to sit on the leather for a few hours to do its thing, but its still the easiest leather cleaner I`ve used. The RO pushes all the dirt out to surface, so there isn`t much elbow grease needed to get all the dirt out. the results are always amazing for me, the leather always looks like new afterwards.

rheostaticsfan
07-08-2009, 08:16 AM
I`m just getting started caring for my own car. 2 years ago(?) a friend sat in some sideline paint at a game and then sat on my charcoal grey leather seat. I took it to the dealer to be detailed and they told me that anything that would touch the paint would bleach the leather.

So...the white paint has stayed there for 2 years.

Will any of the products mentioned in this thread take it out? without bleaching my leather? It bugs me having white "crackle" on my dark leather.

Thats Fresh
07-08-2009, 11:55 AM
Megs 105 & 205, Leatherique are a must have in your arsenal