PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a product recommendation.

Pages : [1] 2

PowerDNA
07-07-2009, 08:05 AM
I am looking for a non acid product to wash my wheels. They are OEM Porsche wheels. I am haveing a difficult time with brake dust as I am sure most do. Does anyone have any recommendations on products to prevent brake dust from collecting? Thanks in advance.

Andrew

Setec Astronomy
07-07-2009, 08:16 AM
Congrats on your first post! Since you are looking for a non-acid, I presume you are also looking for a non-caustic (meaning you are looking for a pH-neutral product). The classic product of that type is P21S wheel cleaner. There are others, Griot`s and I`m sure some of the PBMA or CMA products. Basically if you have etched-in brake dust nothing is really going to take it off other than acid.

Although this is based on very little info from you, I would get the P21S Gel and let it soak for a while, and scrub it with something very gentle so as not to mar the finish. Then you are going to have to use a cleaner polish of some type to get the wheels clean and smooth (or at least as clean and smooth as you are going to be able to). Then any good wax or sealant should be applied, and regular cleaning to keep the brake dust from building up.

Of course, some brake pad materials and wheel surfaces just seem to instantly bond together.

PowerDNA
07-07-2009, 08:22 AM
Thanks for the reply.

There is very little etched in. I was looking for a product to hopefully make it easier to clean. I was using Eagle One Polish but am looking for advice.

Thanks

Congrats on your first post! Since you are looking for a non-acid, I presume you are also looking for a non-caustic (meaning you are looking for a pH-neutral product). The classic product of that type is P21S wheel cleaner. There are others, Griot`s and I`m sure some of the PBMA or CMA products. Basically if you have etched-in brake dust nothing is really going to take it off other than acid.

Although this is based on very little info from you, I would get the P21S Gel and let it soak for a while, and scrub it with something very gentle so as not to mar the finish. Then you are going to have to use a cleaner polish of some type to get the wheels clean and smooth (or at least as clean and smooth as you are going to be able to). Then any good wax or sealant should be applied, and regular cleaning to keep the brake dust from building up.

Of course, some brake pad materials and wheel surfaces just seem to instantly bond together.

AeroCleanse
07-07-2009, 08:46 AM
I am looking for a non acid product to wash my wheels. They are OEM Porsche wheels. I am haveing a difficult time with brake dust as I am sure most do. Does anyone have any recommendations on products to prevent brake dust from collecting? Thanks in advance.

Andrew

P21s wheel gel, then wax.

barrym
07-07-2009, 09:00 AM
Like already mentioned, the key to preventing brake dust from building up is to wax your wheels. I generally use collinite (915) on my wheels as I find it works better than any of the specialized wheel sealants or waxes.

Once you wax them, you should be able to clean them easily with regular shampoo and water as long as you clean them every week or two. Use either a soft boars hair brush or damp microfiber cloth to take any dirt off.

Reapply the wax about once a month, as it won`t last as long on your wheels as it will on paint.

Although it is very strong, Meguiar`s Wheel Brightener (http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/product_detail.asp?T1=MEG+D14001) works wonders for removing baked on brake dust. It can be diluted down, and you shouldn`t need to use it that often if you keep you wheels waxed.

SuperBee364
07-07-2009, 09:03 AM
Another vote for p21s.

Edit: and vote for Setec`s process.

PowerDNA
07-07-2009, 09:24 AM
Thanks for the advice. In the process of ordering now.

Andrew

silkstone
07-07-2009, 04:53 PM
P21S, UPGP on the wheels afterwards....

tom p.
07-07-2009, 05:02 PM
P21s wheel cleaner or the Griot`s version.

Wax with FK 1000p. This is the uber-solution!

Enjoy, and welcome aboard!

imported_sal329
07-07-2009, 05:40 PM
Bilt Hamber Surfex HD, clay and either DG 501 or FK 1000p to protect

PowerDNA
07-08-2009, 06:42 AM
Whats the your opinion if I follow through on the P21S Wheel Gel then Zymöl Vintage? The reason I ask is I already have made an investment in that product. Thoughts? Thanks for the input I appreciate it.

Bilt Hamber Surfex HD, clay and either DG 501 or FK 1000p to protect

tom p.
07-08-2009, 03:52 PM
Power, I don`t think that wax makes any sense in a tough environment like the wheel. You`re going to want a sealant, not a fragile carnauba.

You can get a great sealant for $15 or so.

DM101
07-08-2009, 04:34 PM
After a wash use FK425 will help keep the dusting down.

imported_sal329
07-08-2009, 05:01 PM
I would not waste vintage on wheels, go to NAPA or Car Quest they sell DG line pick up 501 (I prefer this one) or 105 these both work well on wheels

PowerDNA
07-08-2009, 07:02 PM
Thanks I appreciate all the advice Ill pickup some sealant as recommended.