PDA

View Full Version : Murdered Out?

NuWhit_AutoSpa
07-06-2009, 12:52 PM
We`ve seen them on the road, in the magazines and car shows but how to you detail them? For the guys who are not familiar with the term "Murdered Out", it is simply a matte black paint job, like the black design on the Dodge Charger`s hoods and quarter panels. In HH`s new issue, A guy had a Murdered Out Phantom, with in my opinion was tight. I also saw on L4P, that he had a Hummer and Lotus done as well. And If you watch MTV, The show Rob & Big, Rob has a Murdered Out Chevy Tahoe. Just wanted to give you guys an idea what it is I`m talking about. But my questions is how to you detail them? You can`t buff and polish them like a normal paint job? Also, sorry if you guys already discussed this topic, I was to lazy to search it up.

jDizzle
07-06-2009, 01:17 PM
just did a quick search, and on the megs forum mike phillips said in a thread called "need cleaning help on matte black ducati!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"You don`t want to clean, polish or wax the flat black paint, it`s not going to make it smooth and glossy and more than likely it either won`t do anything or may even stain it."

further in the thread Nick Chapman says

"Anything you put on that flat black color, will make it have more shine. If you want to keep it flat, do not use any wax, cleaners, or compounds on it. For protection on flat black, use Meguiar`s Ultimate Quick Detailer. The use of Hydrophobic Polymer Technology in this product will actually repel water, and give you a decent amount of protection without making the flack paint have more shine to it. Of course it will not last as long as a dedicated wax, so using it often is key.

Nick"

NuWhit_AutoSpa
07-06-2009, 01:36 PM
Thanks, I was curious as to how to take care for them. So you do wash them normally, right?

imported_wagonproject
07-06-2009, 01:38 PM
I hate the term "murdered out". Its a flat black paint job with black rims, etc. Windex works very nice to clean flat black.

BobD
07-06-2009, 01:44 PM
I had a flat black FZR600. I hated flat black but it was better than the Vanilla Ice 1980`s paint that was on it. I just cleaned mine with a quick detailer. Never waxed it or anything. I used a matte clear on mine as well and still never waxed it or anything.

kaotikdt
07-06-2009, 01:47 PM
So for protection can you add a sealant lets say opti-seal? I guess not since it does enhance shine, right? lol i think i just answered my own question.

BobD
07-06-2009, 02:13 PM
So for protection can you add a sealant lets say opti-seal? I guess not since it does enhance shine, right? lol i think i just answered my own question.

It`s really hard to say. There are tons of different flat blacks out there. You got the primer flat black, the flat black paint, the glossy paint that has a flat additive, flat with clear on top, vinyl decals in flat. All are going to react differently. Some flats could actually absorb the product and cause staining that will make it look chalky. A sealant or wax isn`t always going to make it look glossy either. I`d just try a hidden area first and see what it looks like in a couple of days.

kaotikdt
07-06-2009, 02:26 PM
Thats true, didn`t think of that. Hey is good to know before you get to work on one! Good topic

imported_wagonproject
07-06-2009, 03:10 PM
It`s really hard to say. There are tons of different flat blacks out there. You got the primer flat black, the flat black paint, the glossy paint that has a flat additive, flat with clear on top, vinyl decals in flat. All are going to react differently. Some flats could actually absorb the product and cause staining that will make it look chalky. A sealant or wax isn`t always going to make it look glossy either. I`d just try a hidden area first and see what it looks like in a couple of days.

Agreed. Post from another thread, some relevance.

You can get paints with the flat look in both single stage and bc/cc. PPG also has 2060 flex n flat clear. You can use it straight for flat and mix it with different ratios with gloss clears to achieve the level of gloss you want. There is no code for "flat black," if youre going PPG its black base (DMD 1683) and a flat clear (DCU 2060).... but unless you want to pay out the *** for base and flat clear, id go with HRF and stay away from PPG (or any other BC/CC system out there)

Some epoxys (PPG DPLF 90 for instance) that when they cure, look identical to what HRF now does, it had that "perfect" lack of shine, its what all the old schoolers used back in the day when there was still lead in the epoxy, for health reasons, the lead has since been removed (damn you osha) and because of that, it breaks down pretty quickly now if left without topcoat.

HRF is hot rod flatz which you can get in a variety of colors that will achieve the same "flatt" results.

Windex works really well for cleaning flat/satin paint.

Not black, but HRF Midnight Blue

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m119/My5t3Ry21/IMG_0171.jpg

Scottwax
07-06-2009, 07:25 PM
I like rat rods even more.

GoudyL
07-06-2009, 07:47 PM
I hate the term "murdered out". Its a flat black paint job with black rims, etc. Windex works very nice to clean flat black.

+1, and its a stupid look anyways.

craigdt
07-06-2009, 09:50 PM
Wow I agree with Goudy for once!

That term just irks me, because only people who watch and live like people on MTV would

use that term. Dont get me started.

BobD
07-07-2009, 05:55 AM
Here are two things I`ve painted flat. The bike is a flat with a clear coat. The helmet is actually a satin with no clear.

1996 FZR600 pictures by danase - Photobucket (http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i115/danase/1996%20FZR600/)

Helmet Paint pictures by danase - Photobucket (http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i115/danase/Helmet%20Paint/)

The bike is gone but I still have the helmet. I just use a quick detailer or soap and water on it.

metalmania31
07-09-2009, 12:49 PM
I thought "murdered out" meant making the car all black, not necessarily flat black.