PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on this claying job

BlackZ51Vett
07-04-2009, 06:40 AM
This is from another site that the guy claims claying will do this to your car. Just wondering what your opinions are :

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f75/BlackZ51Vett/afterclayonothersideofhood.jpg

Claims not to use clay unless you plan to do a complete polish job with a buffer.......

Darkstar752
07-04-2009, 06:52 AM
Only when you use aggressive clay. It looks like he was using pressure, which you should be using no pressure at all.

David Fermani
07-04-2009, 06:54 AM
Clay can definately mar/abrade the paint like that. Some clay more than others and especially on soft paint. Always be prepared to polish afterwards. That actually resembles clay marring and scratching from dirty clay. It shoudn`t leave distinct straight line scratches like that unless the clay bar is pretty clogged with debris.

What kind of clay & lube was used?

mmarmarou
07-04-2009, 07:44 AM
Only when you use aggressive clay. It looks like he was using pressure, which you should be using no pressure at all.

I didn`t know this. I usually use at least some pressure but haven`t had a problem. To me it looks more like there was no lubrication using. It`s hard to tell from the picture, but I wonder if that isn`t just a trail of clay that would come off with a proper claying? I`m really curious how much pressure everyone else uses now...?:nervous2:

CocheseUGA
07-04-2009, 09:42 AM
I didn`t know this. I usually use at least some pressure but haven`t had a problem. To me it looks more like there was no lubrication using. It`s hard to tell from the picture, but I wonder if that isn`t just a trail of clay that would come off with a proper claying? I`m really curious how much pressure everyone else uses now...?:nervous2:

I`m not even sure how one would do this. For me, no lube=no move. It just sticks to the paint and my hand keeps going.

The very first time I clayed, I had zero issues. Some people rush into things and don`t understand what they are doing/the process.

imported_DetailDan
07-04-2009, 09:58 AM
Too much pressure, not enough lube, an aggressive/ dirty clay bar. I always do some polishing after claying regardless.

BlackZ51Vett
07-04-2009, 10:24 AM
This was from a Corvette guy that stated he used "plenty" of lubrication. He didnt say however what type of clay he used. He was just warning everyone about using clay and basically this is what you would end up with. I didnt hold much creditibility in his statements as I have seen other claying with quiet different results. I`m getting ready to do the clay/polish/wax on my Corvette with a random orbital and just wanted opinions on this guys statements......:thx

imported_DetailDan
07-04-2009, 10:35 AM
I would say his statements are correct, to a point. Clay is an abrasive, it can marr the paint pretty easily and should be followed up with a polish. However, his results are harsher than normal.