PDA

View Full Version : Calling all experts...Menz 85RD or Menz 87MC micro???

Pages : [1] 2

09TSX
07-01-2009, 09:29 PM
Hi there,

Sorry for re-posting a new header. I`m wondering which will be better for minor swirl removal & slight holograming on the hood of my 2009 Acura charcoal grey (polished metal metallic) Acura. Reading other posts people have been saying that PO85RD (cut 1.5) will leave micro marring on soft Honda paint and should be followed with PO87MC (cut 1). I really dont want to get both.

On the new Acura`s are they"soft clear coats"? Which Menz would the experts use on a new Acura? I`ll be using a PC XP to do the correction and vary the LC CCS pads from black to say green pads.

So far I`ve decided to get the PC XP w/ some LC CCS pads but not sure which polish to get yet for my 1 year old car.

Thanks for your help

Don:think::think::thx:thx

Legacy
07-01-2009, 11:29 PM
I tried both and they both gave me the same finish so I use 87mc more because it has less cut there by saving my cc. Get some blue ccs pads for final jeweling of the finish.

GoCubsGo
07-02-2009, 12:09 AM
According to a Menzerna chart dug up from a reliable source it shows 85RD is for OEM finishes and 87MC is for repaired or aged finishes (see below).

Hope this helps.

http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv248/trudnick/Detail%202009/MenzChart.jpg

diabolus
07-02-2009, 01:10 AM
PO85RD with a blue CCS pad should be fine. That`s one of the only polishes I can finish down with on soft Honda paint without leaving any type of micromarring behind. Just be sure to keep the rpms low (1200 or less) and let the polish do the work.

09TSX
07-02-2009, 11:13 AM
Thanks everyone. Its funny that PO87MC with a lower cut would be better for repaired or aged surfaces than PO85RD for OEM surfaces. Logically does this really make sense though?? But the PO85RD sounds like the ticket for me...hopefully it will be ok with a PC.

SuperBee364
07-02-2009, 01:06 PM
I have them both and would never be without either of them.

GS4_Fiend
07-02-2009, 01:10 PM
PO85RD with a blue CCS pad should be fine. That`s one of the only polishes I can finish down with on soft Honda paint without leaving any type of micromarring behind. Just be sure to keep the rpms low (1200 or less) and let the polish do the work.

What speed should be used for a PC?

Accumulator
07-02-2009, 01:51 PM
Perhaps this wouldn`t be a bad time for somebody to rehash how to properly use these products (preferably including no-rotary applications).

IIRC, they oughta be worked longer than one might expect, at least to get the full benefit out of them...

RaskyR1
07-02-2009, 02:14 PM
I have found 3M Ultrafina to finish down better on my `08 TSX (Milano Red). 85RD and 87MC finished down pretty nice on the DA, but could not be used on a rotary due to "sticky paint".

I think the paint on my car is a "bad egg" though, as I`ve never had any of the same issues on other Acura`s.

xjonmo
07-02-2009, 02:28 PM
At what speed should 85RD be applied at w/ a PC

GS4_Fiend
07-02-2009, 03:19 PM
That`s my question

SuperBee364
07-03-2009, 10:54 AM
Perhaps this wouldn`t be a bad time for somebody to rehash how to properly use these products (preferably including no-rotary applications).

IIRC, they oughta be worked longer than one might expect, at least to get the full benefit out of them...

You recall correctly. :)

Whether you use Menz finishing polishes with a rotary or DA, they need to be *worked*. The biggest mistake people make when using a Menz polish is that they under work it. Menz polishes go clear fairly fast. how fast depends on a huge number of variables, so I`ll just say they go clear faster than most polishes. At this point, when it goes clear, most people stop, as they think they`re done breaking down the polish. Unfortunately, with Menz, that`s not quite true. You`re about half way through (in terms of time) when the polish goes clear. What you want is for the polish to turn oily looking. Like you had just poured straight mineral oil on the paint. When the polish gets to looking like that, *then* you are done. Not just kinda oily looking.... *OILY* looking.

Some guys have PM`d me, saying that the polish always dries, dusts, or flashes before they get to the oily look. Yeah, that happens sometimes, and is dependent on relative humidity, air temperature, how fast the pad is turning, pressure applied, and the position of the Sun and Venus. The cure: do another application. I`ve had to do three applications before I finally get an application to last long enough to break down to pure oil. Why this works is a mystery to me, but it does. It is a time killer, though.

If the application you are currently working dries up, flashes, or dusts on you, stop. Remove the dried up polish, and start working again using brand new polish.

Sometimes changing working pressure and RPM will help, too. You just gotta experiment a bit.

Once you`ve seen the gloss from a properly broken down application of one of Menz`s finishing polishes, you`ll be a believer... they really are some of the best finishing polishes on the market.

When you get the polish broken down to oil, the paint will look phenomenal; the oil will make it look incredibly glossy. Nornally, removing the oil will dull the gloss a bit. You`ll know you`ve hit max gloss if the paint looks just as good with broken down oil on it as it does without.

Accumulator
07-03-2009, 11:13 AM
SuperBee364- Thanks for posting that..gee, could you you tell I was thinking of you?

I do believe you when you say "time killer". Maybe some day....

SuperBee364
07-03-2009, 11:29 AM
At what speed should 85RD be applied at w/ a PC

That`s my question

Six.

SuperBee364- Thanks for posting that..gee, could you you tell I was thinking of you?

I do believe you when you say "time killer". Maybe some day....

You *know* I can`t pass up an opportunity to gush about Menz finishing polishes. :)

If a client is paying me big bucks for a high end detail, they (or rather, their car) get jeweled with Menz. Only the high end stuff, though, because it really is a time killer.

09TSX
07-06-2009, 02:19 PM
Update...this is totally confusing but i email menzerna usa directly and i got this for information...

PO85RD cut of 1 gloss 5

PO87MC cut of 2 gloss 4.5

it sounds contradictory to previous posts of the finest of which is least abrasive