PDA

View Full Version : Blue painter`s tape

eddie926
06-30-2009, 06:08 AM
I have a roll of the 1" 3M blue painter`s tape from Home Depot. Every time I`ve used it on a vehicle, it has left major tape adhesive residue behind when I peel it off. Then I have to spend a significant amount of time cleaning the residue off the vehicle.

Has anyone else had this problem? What do you do about it? Is there some other tape I should be using instead?

BobD
06-30-2009, 06:38 AM
I usually use a green colored tape. Forget the brand but it`s not 3M. i also have some blue tape as well that`s not 3M that I got from the local automotive paint store. I used it to take off a bunch of stuff on my motorcycle gas tank a few months bag to paint and it came off easy. I think you`d be better off using an automotive specific painters tape.

scholar
06-30-2009, 06:47 AM
3M also has the Green tape, it`s specifically made for automotive surfaces.

SpoiledMan
06-30-2009, 08:43 AM
I`ve never had that happen with the blue tape. Defective roll/batch maybe?

chuckstang95
06-30-2009, 11:19 AM
Same exact problem, where can you buy tape that will not do this, maybe some low adhesion blue painters tape? Cant find it anywhere though

Could someone provide a link to stuff that really works on paint and trim and will not leave behind a ton of gooo. I know it will some, but IMO if it needs more than a wash to remove it, it is too much!

I really hate having to clay my car and re wax every time I use tape!

BobD
06-30-2009, 11:27 AM
Same exact problem, where can you buy tape that will not do this, maybe some low adhesion blue painters tape? Cant find it anywhere though

Could someone provide a link to stuff that really works on paint and trim and will not leave behind a ton of gooo. I know it will some, but IMO if it needs more than a wash to remove it, it is too much!

I really hate having to clay my car and re wax every time I use tape!

Just go to your local automotive body shop supply.

scholar
06-30-2009, 12:04 PM
I got my Green 3M Tape from Autozone and I think DD carries them as well.

dan46n2
06-30-2009, 12:25 PM
The blue tape by 3M leaves a thin line of residue that is very, very difficult to remove especially if you leave it on for several days.

eddie926
06-30-2009, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. I`ll check into the the various tapes you mentioned.

The problem role was a brand new roll from HD. This was NOT the low adhesion tape, just the regular blue painter`s tape.

With my latest use I was just doing the hood on a friend`s Mustang and taped off the hood vents. I`d say the tape was on for less than an hour, and left goo that I couldn`t wash off. I had to use polish to take it off.

Do you guys store your tape indoors? Maybe the tape was affected by being stored in my garage with some major temp fluctuations.

Anyway, I`ll try the green next time, and maybe some of the low adhesion blue.

Thanks again.

jmkiang
06-30-2009, 01:35 PM
The blue tape by 3M leaves a thin line of residue that is very, very difficult to remove especially if you leave it on for several days.

Sure thats not polish?

I have no issues with 3M blue painters tape EXCEPT on my vinyl overlays. No residue on paint, glass, vinyl, rubber, plastic etc.

AKOZ
06-30-2009, 01:40 PM
Can you put the tape on your pants or shirt and peel it off minimize the glue before you apply it to your vehicle? It seemed to work for me.

GS4_Fiend
06-30-2009, 03:01 PM
I bought the blue painter`s tape at Home Depot. They do leave a thin line but that`s normal. So place maybe sale fake ones?

eddie926
06-30-2009, 03:34 PM
Sure thats not polish?

I have no issues with 3M blue painters tape EXCEPT on my vinyl overlays. No residue on paint, glass, vinyl, rubber, plastic etc.

It`s definitely goo from the tape.

Can you put the tape on your pants or shirt and peel it off minimize the glue before you apply it to your vehicle? It seemed to work for me.

Thought about trying that next time. Just wondered if anyone else had had the same experience or if there was a better/different tape that would work better.

Thanks for all the responses.

MarcHarris
06-30-2009, 05:43 PM
+1 to use different tape. I hear good things about the green stuff, by I used the blue 3M painter`s tape with the orange "delicate" tagging on it. Lower adhesion. Also remember that it`s a glue-type of product: in the heat it`ll be more liquidy/nasty to work with than not in direct sun / on cool paint

chuckstang95
07-03-2009, 07:21 AM
I was going to try the green tape from autozone but I thought I read on here that that was more used as like duct tape to hold car parts together, like used in nascar and so on lol

Is this the same stuff at autozone? Any good?

3M Masking Tape, Scotch Masking Tapes, 3M green masking tape (http://www.autogeek.net/3m-masking-tape.html)