PDA

View Full Version : potenza s-03`s seem a bit dry.

joyriide1113
11-11-2005, 02:08 PM
well as a birthday gift to my self i got myself a set of POTENZA S-03`s. they handle awesome , and look damn good too.

well today i gave them a good cleaning with "oil-eater" apc and it did a good job. but at the end of the wash the tires weren`t taking in the dressing. they kept looking blotchy, almost as if they were neglected tires that have become dry thru time.

these are BRAND NEW tires and were installed last night.

would they eventually get better after time if i keep applying dressing, or is this the nature of the beast.

the dressing i was using was dp`s tire gloss gel. its waterbased and has u.v protection. same as all dressing that touch my tires...

sean (gsrstilez) i know u`re dad has a cobra and he wraps his wheels in these tires. have u experienced this before with them?

tubafeak
11-11-2005, 04:16 PM
Some tire shines just don`t work with some dressings. I use VRT on my dad`s bridgestone g003s (I think that`s what they are), I tried it on my firestone POS tires and it didn`t work at all, but you know what did work, the Armorall Extreme shine silicone loaded dressing, it wasn`t shiny at all, looked just like VRT did on the decent tires my dad has. I can also tell you that not a whole lot of dressings like the blizzaks I have on the honda right now, the silica compounds don`t like dressings at all.

G35stilez
11-11-2005, 08:01 PM
Honestly, my experiences with new tires in general is as follows...

Dry or new tires need a THICK coat or multiple thin coats (at least 4) to start holding the dressing uniformly. Once you get them to soak in, let dry for 10 minutes and buff dry. Once you get some "dressing layering" over the weeks, they will be fine. I remember the initial loading being a bit tedious. Just keep up with a few thin coats at first.

Mikeyc
11-11-2005, 08:13 PM
That`s weird. I had S-03`s on my last car and never experienced this. I always clean my tires with tire cleaner and brass bristle brush when I wash. Maybe this makes a difference.

pt91
11-11-2005, 10:18 PM
I have read that new tires are shipped with some sort of coating and needs to be scrubbed off before you can apply dressings evenly.
I have experienced that with my new Yokos on the front of my car.
Sorry that I can`t provide more detailed info.

sharpie
11-11-2005, 11:25 PM
I have read that new tires are shipped with some sort of coating and needs to be scrubbed off before you can apply dressings evenly.
I have experienced that with my new Yokos on the front of my car.
Sorry that I can`t provide more detailed info.

This is true, when I worked at discount tire we called it release, becasue basically its the stuff that releases the tire from the mold, had the same problem with my nitto 555 extremes when they were new.

Ferrarislave
11-11-2005, 11:29 PM
Nice, Joyride, got any pictures? Did you also get new wheels?