PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning old leather, and not removing the dye.

imported_Detailing Technology
06-29-2009, 07:54 AM
Im noticing that the vapor machine can be a little excessive on some older coated leather seats, as well as raw hides.

Scrubbing with an ultra-diluted degreaser or leather cleaner and a soft brush are extremely time consuming.

What are you doing to clean leather safley?

06-29-2009, 06:31 PM
What about Pristine Clean? Any non-documented uses?

Quality Leather
06-30-2009, 05:53 PM
I have seen the one video that one of the guys has here on steam cleaning leather and he is doing a disservice to his clients. Using a steamer with a brush is just asking for trouble. I only use a steamer with towels wrapped around a flat head. Even this will do damage to the coating.

I have said it before (not a million times, but close:)). Use a Scotch Brite delicate duty scuff pad and some basic cleaner like the Woolite concoction and you will be set.

Barry Theal
06-30-2009, 06:03 PM
I have seen the one video that one of the guys has here on steam cleaning leather and he is doing a disservice to his clients. Using a steamer with a brush is just asking for trouble. I only use a steamer with towels wrapped around a flat head. Even this will do damage to the coating.

I have said it before (not a million times, but close:)). Use a Scotch Brite delicate duty scuff pad and some basic cleaner like the Woolite concoction and you will be set.

I agree one hundred percent. the nice thing is you can get different levels of scothbrite also.

06-30-2009, 06:15 PM
Scotchbrite sounds interesting. I remember red(rough) and gray variants.

Quality Leather
07-01-2009, 10:07 AM
You want the white one. This is the one that they show on the commercials using it with drinking glasses.

When I was with a somewhat known franchise, they use to go with the gray ones. The gray ones work ok if you are wanting to strip off some of the coating. For cleaning, they could do damage to the coating. The pads main purpose is to get down into the grain and remove the dirt and crap. This is why some people have varying levels of success cleaning leather with different cleaners.