PDA

View Full Version : ***!!! i twised paint?

trippmann
06-26-2009, 10:08 PM
hey guys, this is a question/rant thread. so today i get up around 9:00 and find that i have nothing to do for the whole day. so i go out side to give my beauty a wash, 2006 bmw 330xi, color is alpine white and has never had to be painted in any area. so after i wash it with ONR and a sheepskin i decide what the hell ill clay it while i`m at it, so i clay it and by now its only 10:30. that didn`t take long, ill just do a 2 step on her and made he beautiful. so going through the polishing stage with m105 on a NEW 6 inch lake-county white pad on my makita. whole thing is going great, no problems then i get to rear bumper and all hell breaks loose. mind you that i am the original owner. i start polishing and its going fine then out of nowhere i just had a bad feeling and stopped, and there it was... a black spot, paint looked twisted, and it was somewhat bubbled. :wall well to say the least i let off a few choice words and had my neighbor stair me down. i still cant figure it out, i touched the panel right when i removed the pad and it wasn`t hot, just a little warm like any other panel. so now i have pot some touch up on it and am letting it cure.

so now my question is, *** happened! it seemed as if the paint just didn`t bond to the bumper and just pulled off? am i in the wrong? or was it a fault with the bumper? nothing happened with the rest of the car btw. :help:

trippmann
06-26-2009, 10:50 PM
i think i found my answers, but would still like thoughts from others. im only going to be using my PC on the plastic bumpers now.

Setec Astronomy
06-26-2009, 11:17 PM
The metal panels of your car have very high thermal conductivity relative to the plastic bumper covers. What you did was to locally build up heat and "melt" the paint. You`re hardly the first guy to have a problem like this on a plastic panel.

trippmann
06-27-2009, 08:07 AM
thanks setec, im happy it was on my rear bumper because some jerk backed out of their parking space a few years back and dragged the side of their car against the side of my rear bumper and i never got it repainted. i guess its not all bad.

is it safe to use a combo like white or orange with 105 with the PC? i would figure since it doesnt build up as much heat?

Setec Astronomy
06-27-2009, 08:34 AM
You can burn with a PC with 4" pads, too. You just have to be careful on those softer surfaces, they are the worst for heat dissipation...and when it happens, it happens so fast you can`t do anything about it. With a rotary, smaller pads will be safer--opposite for PC.

Bigpoppa3346
06-27-2009, 08:47 AM
What speed were you using on the Makita?

I always try to keep the speed low when buffing bumpers.

maarten22
06-27-2009, 09:02 AM
Sounds like the same problem some other people had on a BMW M3:

$310 detail for free!!!!!!!! - Car Care Forums: Meguiar`s Online (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32802&highlight=wrinkle)

Thats Fresh
06-27-2009, 05:06 PM
+1 on the plastic bumpers on the bimmers. ive heard a couple of stories like that from a few pro detailers. luckily im only armed with a PC also and i havent seen any buckling on my cars.

GoudyL
06-27-2009, 09:51 PM
IMHO the bigger question is why are we using a cutting compound on a white car?

trippmann
06-27-2009, 10:27 PM
3 years of automatic car-washes, gas station washes, using wheel brushes on paint, trust me, you name it my family has done it. the paint actually looked like on the tips or high points of the orange peel that it was sanded but i know that it wasnt, it was uniform around the car. either way, thanks for the support guys.