PDA

View Full Version : before using the SSRs

RedLight_Si
11-10-2005, 09:04 PM
I will be trying the SSRs soon. I have a single coat of Zaino on my car right now. Should I maybe wash my car with Dawn before using the SSRs? I dont really like to do this but I dont want the Zaino to contaminate or interfere with the SSRs when Im working them. What do you think?

Steve

budman3
11-10-2005, 09:23 PM
I think you`ll be fine to just jump right in polishing... after a good washing and drying of course. You won`t have any problems with the Zaino the SSRs will just eat that up with no harm.

awd330
11-10-2005, 09:28 PM
There`s no need to use Dawn. Just wash using a dedicated car soap, then go ahead with the SSRs.

Brenton
11-10-2005, 09:55 PM
Polishes will break down the wax. If you are concerned, get a wax & silicone remover. Takes about 20 minutes.
Leave Dawn on the shelf.

Mad iX
11-10-2005, 11:47 PM
Agreed. If the SSRs don`t remove Zaino, then Dawn certainly won`t.

Hawaiianelement
11-11-2005, 05:02 PM
When was the last time you clayed your vehicle? That`ll give you a nice smooth clean surface to work with.

RedLight_Si
11-11-2005, 11:21 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies. Its hasnt been clayed in a while. I dont remember how long ago I did it. Ive worked it with Z:PC about 3 times over very recently though. The finish feels very smooth. But there are still swirls. Im gonna go ahead and wash the car with SSS,dry and then work the SSRs. Hopefully I can finally get all the swirls out. I hate`em.

Steve

Brenton
11-12-2005, 07:36 AM
With a PC, purchase some patience when you pick up your SSR package. Really work that product in.
Also, put some damp clothes at the top of the hood below the windshield. There is some dust kick up, and cleaning those grooves can be annoying. But make sure your PC doesn`t grab the clothes.
And ear plugs and a nice sandwich, cause you have a day ahead. For SSR, I recommend a BLT.

Poorboy
11-12-2005, 09:57 AM
good advice on the damp rags...haven`t thought about that one...

yes the pc can do the job, but it takes longer than a rotary, more passes and using the right product/ pad combo ...I prefer a hot meatball hero:D

Brenton
11-12-2005, 10:08 AM
good advice on the damp rags...haven`t thought about that one...

yes the pc can do the job, but it takes longer than a rotary, more passes and using the right product/ pad combo ...I prefer a hot meatball hero:D

With a long day of PC action, I`d just hate to see the meatballs coming back on him! :alucard:

marko
11-12-2005, 11:16 AM
totally agree with the damp mf theory, although I`m always touching one with a pad and sending it flying across the lawn. it`s hilarious but only for the first half a dozen times, so I started popping the hood and taping a couple of plastic trash bags over the wipers and molding.

for an initial attack with ssr`s I`m gonna have to go with the blt, cause bacon makes you mean.

harry444
11-29-2005, 10:28 PM
Don`t worry about the zaino ssr`s will cut right thru them after you use the ssr`s and before you put the zaino back use the z-pc instead of the ssr1 then put the zaino back on. with zfx this way you can put 3 coats on in the same day :yes: I have 20+ coats of zaino on my car.