PDA

View Full Version : Why don`t more people get their vehicle(s) detailed?

Pages : [1] 2

TS_Detailing
06-26-2009, 03:58 PM
So my future father-in-law and I were talking last night, and he brought up a very good question. We were talking about how so many people take their dogs/pets to get groomed (including him, because of his wife) every 2-4 weeks and spend $40-$60 each visit. I don`t know about people in you guys` area, but here EVERYBODY has their dogs groomed that often and for around that price. Then he said, "If so many people will take the time and money to get their dog/pets groomed that often, why don`t more people pay $200-$300 or whatever the price may be, to get their vehicles professionally detailed?"

So I ask you guys that same question. I mean obviously there are many people that do regularly have their vehicles detailed, but not nearly the amount that should. Isn`t a person`s vehicle or vehicles their #1 or #2 investment, depending on if they own a home or not? I don`t care if the car was $5,000 or $100,000 when they bought it, it still is the first or second largest investment most people have, right? Even if they just pay for a one-step paint correction and a complete interior detail once every 6 months, to someone who actually knows how to detail such as ourselves - not a body shop, dealership, or Joe`s Car Wash/Detail down the road. A simple one-step and an interior done right for a lot of us is ballpark around $200-$300, give or take a little either way... That`s still not much to spend every 6 months for such a large investment.

What do you guys think is the reason?

nighthawkcoupe
06-26-2009, 04:05 PM
I think most people aren`t educated as to what a detail really entails, nor do they have the attention to detail (at least when it comes to cars) to notice the difference.

To most people, running a car through an automatic wash gets the car clean enough and they don`t even notice swirls let alone realize that they can be fixed with a detail.

DetailDynamix
06-26-2009, 04:06 PM
this is a good question, you`ll probably get more personal opinions then an exact answer but I believe it has to do with the fact that, and especially these days the economy, people would rather not shell out the money when they can vac it and armor-all it at home. I understand what you`re saying and I figure more people would too, and I understand the point you made about the pet grooming too, but for some reason it`s easier to soend $50 every two weeks then $100-$200 at once.....apparently people somehow justify that they are spending less that way, lol

longdx
06-26-2009, 04:18 PM
The first solution is educating the customer. Many people (myself included at one time), thought that only quick run though the local swirl-o-matic and occasional waxing is required. The inevitable swirls and marring were just a part of the car "aging" and you just live with it. Again, a detailer like yourself needs to show potential customers how your service will restore the finish to like new conditions and how you are different from the corner car wash "detailers".

Second, I know of many people who just treat their vehicles as an appliance, deviod of any attachment. A coworker has a Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (the V8 version) with these stellar Alcon aluminum alloy wheels that now have had months of baked on brake dust. He just drives the car and ignores the problem. He will be a tough sell, even though he has seen my vehicle( a DD with over 160K mileage) and asked how I have kept it so clean. He just shows no proclivity to getting his professionally done. ( I`ve tried to convince him and failed)

Finally, people sometimes just balk at the idea of several hundred dollars for a detail. They do not see the value. They do not understand that a professional detailer invests hundreds of dollars in proper machinery, supplies, training and more importantly in labor to recondition a vehicle. This is where the corner car wash "detailers" do a disservice to the professional detailer.

akimel
06-26-2009, 04:26 PM
I know this will be unpopular, but I can suggest one financial reason not to spend $300 a year to get one`s car detailed: it`s a bad investment. What is the difference in the trade-in value of a car that is in fair condition and one that is in excellent condition? About $1,000. The same difference applies if one is selling one`s vehicle to a private individual. Do the math.

Don`t get me wrong. I want everyone who can afford it to retain the services of a professional detailer; but it does appear to be a luxury that many folks, perhaps prudentially, judge they can forego.

ta240
06-26-2009, 04:48 PM
I`m sure plenty of people just don`t care but I`ve wondered if since their cars appearance tends to go down hill slowly they just don`t realize how much better it could look. I mean the car doesn`t look much worse than it did 3 months ago but compared to 3 years ago it is really bad. Since they most likely only remember the recent way it looked it doesn`t strike them as being `that bad` right now.

I see quite a few cars on the road that don`t have dents but look bad and I wonder if the owner wouldn`t be willing to spend 250-300 to have it look new again. Since many people buy a new car mostly to get that and spend way more than that.

Some of the before and afters on here are just amazing and many people would never imagine that their car could be transformed like that.

brwill2005
06-26-2009, 04:56 PM
Detailing is a niche market. Mainly, the people who purchase detailing services are enthusiastic about their cars. In addition to this, they need to have the discretionary income to afford such services. The masses are content with a car wash or express detail once in a while. Part of the problem is a lack of education. The other major problem is the reputation this industry has. The fly by night and un-professional operations really damage our industry.

mmarmarou
06-26-2009, 04:58 PM
I wonder if the owner wouldn`t be willing to spend 250-300 to have it look new again.

300 is a lot of money to most people. Just because they have a newer car, or even an expensive one, doesn`t mean they have 300 extra for what most view as a glorified car wash that they can get for $15. I love washing cars, but I find it hard to justify spending 300, when I could spend that money on a weekend vacation or an iPod.

brwill2005
06-26-2009, 05:06 PM
300 is a lot of money to most people. Just because they have a newer car, or even an expensive one, doesn`t mean they have 300 extra for what most view as a glorified car wash that they can get for $15. I love washing cars, but I find it hard to justify spending 300, when I could spend that money on a weekend vacation or an iPod.

You obviously would not be included in most detailer`s target market:)

solstice
06-26-2009, 05:10 PM
i got to agree with akimel.. however people should get cars detailed just before they sell/trade in thus they get a better value and the cost difference will result in a profit. Again one has to look at a car as either a tool or a collector item. If a regular tool, then just make it shiny before selling. If collector, them maintenance is important.

I use detailers primarily for finding any issues with the cars bodies that one won`t find by just going to car washes (even the touchless ones).

imported_Jakerooni
06-26-2009, 05:53 PM
This question can be asked of just about any profession. Why don`t most people have their lawn professionaly cared for? Why don`t people have their houses professionally cleaned on a regular basis. The answer really comes down to the basics of there`s only so much money to go around for most people. There are the top 2% that get to enjoy all the luxories this life has to offer. for the other 98% it`s a strict budget to adhere to and shiney paint isn`t really in the cards for most people. I have a handful of repeat clientel that want good maintence on their cars. Most of my customers are still one off`s just trying to clean up a new car that they just aquired or some used beast they are just trying to offload. I bet most detailers on this site still fit into this catagory as well. Some of the top guys have repeat clients and maintain the same vehicles over and over again. Most don`t. But if I put myself in the customers shoes... And I needed detailing services I personally would never pay the hundreds of dollars the average detail seems to get. Maybe right before I sold a vehicle but not a DD by any means. Maybe it`s because I know how to do it right myself. But to me personally polishing paint to any level of correction just isn`t worth hundreds of dollars much less thousands of dollars unless it was garuntee`d a permanent fix... Which we all know it isn`t. Just like having my carpets professionally cleaned... Are there top notch guys that would charge a $1000 a room? I`m sure somewhere but for me it`s stanely steamer once a year for a $100 and that`s all I would ever consider and that`s really only if really needed. Otherwise I`ll rent a rug doctor and do it myself.

GoudyL
06-26-2009, 07:48 PM
Why? Because it`s expensive and most folks don`t think the benefit is worth the cost. Especially when you can 90%+ of what a "professional detailer will offer at a typical full service car wash.

Barry Theal
06-26-2009, 07:58 PM
Why? Because it`s expensive and most folks don`t think the benefit is worth the cost. Especially when you can 90%+ of what a "professional detailer will offer at a typical full service car wash.

im not sure what your ideal of a professional detail is, but i can tell you i forgot more about detailing then what any full service car wash offers.

citizen arcane
06-26-2009, 08:06 PM
I`m a DIYer; I paint my house every three years (the whole house - no brick or vinyl/aluminum here). Do some electrical, plumbing, flooring, pulled all the wiring and did all installs for the multi media room etc. etc. That`s why I`m here; I have learned to detail my cars as well.

As has been mentioned, those w/ discretionary income and care for their cars but don`t want to tackle the job themselves will hire it out. The rest run their cars through coin/tunnel washes and that`s good enough for them.

Johnny Upton
06-26-2009, 10:14 PM
I`ll add 2 reasons

Leasing - Those with short term leases can probably get away with running their vehicle through a car wash. Leasing also has the tendency of making the vehicle a disposable item Vs item that needs to be maintained.

Paint quality/technology