PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars M105 question..problem

Fly5465
06-26-2009, 08:38 AM
Hey all,

I`m new to the M105 and I`m trying to use it with my Cyclo polisher with green pads. My vehicle is white. Anyway I primed the pads and went over a section on my hood. I`m not sure if I`m not going long enough or to long, or what my problem is.

After working the polish for a while then I I then try to wipe it off with a MF towel. But holy cow its really hard to get off? I end up having to use some quick detailer or some Final inspection 34 that I have. Even then I have to rub like crazy to get it off?

What am I doing wrong? Should I work it longer? Should I work it less? It will take me forever doing it the way I`m going now?

Thanks,

FLY5465 - Arizona

B-52GUNNER
06-26-2009, 08:46 AM
Sounds like to much product.

gmblack3
06-26-2009, 08:46 AM
Sounds like the old formula of M105. Sounds like you are working it too long, but I don`t have any experience with the cyclo. When I have issues removing it, I use straight IPA. I spray it on the MF 2-3x and it wipes away clean. You are also ensuring that you are doing real correction.

imported_Jakerooni
06-26-2009, 08:47 AM
sounds like you`re getting the product to hot. are you working in the shade?

Accumulator
06-26-2009, 09:27 AM
Fly5465- I`ve yet to use M105 with my Cyclos, but it sounds to me like you`re working it too long.

I somehow bet that you have the v2.0 (which will say it`s OK for DA/hand use on the bottle).

M105 can flash/dry pretty fast, and the Cyclo flashes some products more quickly than one might expect (KAIO is a good example).

You *might* be using too much product, but it`s hard to say. That *would* result in hard-to-remove residue but it would also diminish the quick-flashing so :nixweiss

Is there dry/caked product on the pads? That would indicate you`re working it too long.

Don`t work large areas. Try 12" x 12" or so.

To lessen the work time, try working it for six "passes", meaning six movements across the area of operation. Each of those might take maybe five seconds, so we`re only talking about maybe half a minute or so.

If that`s too short you can always work it longer, but I somehow bet that`s less time than you`re working it now.

The M105 doesn`t break down anyhow, it just dries out as the oils/carrier agents evaporate. So buffing it off too soon probably won`t cause any real problems but will just cut down on the amount of work that`s getting done.

This is one of those products you don`t need to work for a long time.

And there`s nothing wrong with using #34 when buffing off M105 residue, it`s good for minimizing any hazing. It`s just that it shouldn`t be absolutely *necessary*.

Summary:

-Check that the pads are primed properly and that you`re not using too much/not enough product

-Work smaller areas

-Don`t work the product too long

-Try to buff it off before it`s dried completely

-Check your pads for dried product to gauge whether you need to alter something

Fly5465
06-26-2009, 12:07 PM
Thanks all,

Your all very helpful. Well, I tried several things and its going better now. I think I was using to much product for one. Also, I`m now working it longer and it seems to be going better. I`m not getting any "caking" on the pads. Also I`m trying to do a smaller area as Accumulator suggested. I`m working inside my garage and it`s in the shade, but then again its 100 degrees already (Arizona).

I think white is a hard color to see whats going on. There doesn`t seem to be as much reflection in white as other colors. Anyway, I think its looking better and it feels much smoother now after the clay bar, then M105 and M205.

Thanks again for everyone`s help, I REALLY appriciate it!

Fly5465

Accumulator
06-26-2009, 12:58 PM
.. I tried several things and its going better now. I think I was using to much product for one. Also, I`m now working it longer and it seems to be going better. I`m not getting any "caking" on the pads. ..

Ah, working it *longer*, OK, with no caking that sounds good. And yeah, it`s easy to get into the "use more to do more" mindset, even though that doesn`t really work.

Remember to clean the pads pretty frequently.

Glad you`re getting things dialed-in.

Fly5465
06-27-2009, 02:29 PM
Just an update on my detailing project....

I have figured out what works for me with the M105 and a cyclo polisher. I`m using a little less product that earlier and working it longer. I can continue to work it until its almost gone on the panel. Then it wipes off easily. I dont think I`m working it to long because there in no "caking" on the pads.

I`m using the orange pads on the Cyclo with the M105 and I`m surprised how nice it polishes up with M105. I think I could just wax it when finished as it looks pretty good. However I`m going to go over the whole thing agian with M205 before waxing it.

My vehicle is a 2002 Toyota 4x4 that is white. I have some scratches in the paint from 4 wheeling in the brush. Not through the paint, but I have a few pretty good scratches. With the Cyclo and the M105 on orange pads I was able to remove 90% of my offroading scratches. I just cant get the last 10%. The remaining scratches look much better because they are "rounded?" and shinny. However in just the right light if you look closely you can still see them. But like I said it MUCH better now and you really have to look hard to see them.

I wonder if I would be able to get these scratches out 100% if I had a PC7424 with an orange pad and the M105??? I may have to get one to try in the near future.

So far I have completed the truck with the M105. Tomorrow I`m going to go over it with the M205, then wax. I had to quite for the day as it now about 108 in my garage.

I`m no expert (like many of you) but I would have to say I`m impressed with the M105 using the Cyclo. I can`t imagine it will get that much better after going over it with the M205, but we`ll see??

Thanks everyone agian for all the support and good info on this sight.

Fly5465 - Arizona

Accumulator
06-27-2009, 03:46 PM
Just an update on my detailing project....

I have figured out what works for me with the M105 and a cyclo polisher. I`m using a little less product that earlier and working it longer. I can continue to work it until its almost gone on the panel. Then it wipes off easily. I dont think I`m working it to long because there in no "caking" on the pads...

If it`s not drying out/caking on the pads/sticking to the paint then you`re not overworking it :xyxthumbs

I`m using the orange pads on the Cyclo with the M105 and I`m surprised how nice it polishes up with M105. I think I could just wax it when finished as it looks pretty good. However I`m going to go over the whole thing agian with M205 before waxing it.

Heh heh, yeah, that`s what I thought the first time I used M105; it sure does finish out nicely. But just wait until you try the M205 ;)

I wonder if I would be able to get these scratches out 100% if I had a PC7424 with an orange pad and the M105??? I may have to get one to try in the near future.

I dunno if a) it`d be worth thinning the clear over, or b) worth doing anyhow. Just because you can see them during a meticulous inspection that might not mean you need to eliminate them to be satisfied with how it looks. And nobody else will ever notice (not that anybody else`s opinion oughta matter ;) ).

The PC with 3.5/4" pads can do stuff the Cyclo can`t though. It can be a *LOT* more aggressive.

So far I have completed the truck with the M105. Tomorrow I`m going to go over it with the M205, then wax. I had to quite for the day as it now about 108 in my garage.

My wife and I used to do outdoor stuff in AZ during the month of June...yeah, it gets hot all right!

I would have to say I`m impressed with the M105 using the Cyclo. I can`t imagine it will get that much better after going over it with the M205, but we`ll see??

Even on white I think you`ll see a difference. M205 is very user-friendly IME too. Glad it`s going well.