PDA

View Full Version : Makita Wool Pad

solstice
06-25-2009, 07:54 PM
What is everyones opinion on who has the Makita 9227c with the default wool pad that comes with it?

Just bought the Makita 9227c machine, it came with a wool pad and the dealer threw in a couple foam pads as well (Yellow waffle Cutting, Gray/Black polishing from a company called Arc-line).

Looking at accessorizing. I don`t do this work professionally, rather just for fun, thus am looking at options.

See a few people use the Lake Country Purple wool pad, for cutting and their other foams for polishing.

Also what kind of backing plates do you guys use? I don`t seem to mind the makita one, but hear from a few people it is just too stiff and want to see what people think here.

imported_Jakerooni
06-25-2009, 08:53 PM
Probably one of the worst wool pads out there right now. I played with the one that came with mine once and tossed it in the garbage.

AeroCleanse
06-25-2009, 10:20 PM
The one that came with mine I use all the time when I need a wool pad. Its pretty much the same as the ones Meguiar`s sells. However, when you use a wool pad, you have to use a foam pad as well.

solstice
06-25-2009, 11:50 PM
What about backing plates? which ones do you use with the wool. I saw someone here post a few youtube videos using the LC PW pad and some funky backing plate..

AeroCleanse
06-26-2009, 05:50 AM
What about backing plates? which ones do you use with the wool. I saw someone here post a few youtube videos using the LC PW pad and some funky backing plate..

My Makitia came with a velcro backing plate, but I bought a Meguiars backing plate for the 6.5" pads, and use that all the time.

imported_Jakerooni
06-26-2009, 08:44 AM
The one that came with mine I use all the time when I need a wool pad. Its pretty much the same as the ones Meguiar`s sells. However, when you use a wool pad, you have to use a foam pad as well.

And who told you that? That`s just bad information and a very bad generalization. If you know how to use the wool there nothing stating anywhere you need to follow it up with foam. Is it the usual practice? Sure. But saying it`s absoultly required is false. Way to many variables to make that statement. They have finish wool`s that actually finish down very very well. I would say that it depends on the surface your working on and the products you use that determine if a foam finish is actually nesseceary.

It really comes down to laziness. Foam is still very new to the detailing world Less than 20 years or so for general use. Yet they`ve been polishing out paint for well over a 100 years. Foam came along and was a very easy crutch to lean on and not get swirls.. People got lazy and didn`t want to properly learn how to use the wool anymore. Phase out a couple generations of detailers and lack of proper training and now foam is just the "Must do to get a proper finish" Which I guess if it works go for it. But there`s still a lot of people out there that can use wool properly and not muck up a paint job and not need foam to get a proper finish.

AeroCleanse
06-26-2009, 09:37 AM
And who told you that? That`s just bad information and a very bad generalization. If you know how to use the wool there nothing stating anywhere you need to follow it up with foam. Is it the usual practice? Sure. But saying it`s absoultly required is false. Way to many variables to make that statement. They have finish wool`s that actually finish down very very well. I would say that it depends on the surface your working on and the products you use that determine if a foam finish is actually nesseceary.

What do you mean who told me? Have you used the aforementioned wool pads from Makita and Meg`s? The may have used wool all the time in the past, but paints were different back then as well.

SuperBee364
06-26-2009, 09:42 AM
And who told you that? That`s just bad information and a very bad generalization. If you know how to use the wool there nothing stating anywhere you need to follow it up with foam. Is it the usual practice? Sure. But saying it`s absoultly required is false. Way to many variables to make that statement. They have finish wool`s that actually finish down very very well. I would say that it depends on the surface your working on and the products you use that determine if a foam finish is actually nesseceary..

I still finish out with wool quite often on medium and hard clears. I love the glow it leaves. I hope Edge will continue to make their finishing wool for a long time to come.

imported_Jakerooni
06-26-2009, 10:13 AM
well like I stated early the Makita wool to me is junk. I wouldn`t use it if someone paid me to use it... (well maybe if the price was right) I`ve used alot of Meg`s wool and tons of other wool pads. Old paint and new paint and I still stand by my statement. You don`t need foam to get a great finish. They have just as many options out there for wool as they do for foam and if you pick the right combo out you won`t have any issues with the finish achieved by a wool pad.

solstice
06-26-2009, 11:00 AM
So recommendation would be using Meg W66 solo backing plate, with Lake country PFW 6.5" pad!?

bucket
06-27-2009, 02:44 PM
I use the wool pad that came with my Makita up at work (not my home one) after wetsanding..it works well for me. I`m usually gentle and slow with it cause it cuts quick with 3M perfect-it compound. I think you`re asking about this pad: http://i40.tinypic.com/2hr3cw7.jpg

I use the backing plate that came with my Makita (seen in above pic) for both home and work. For work I finish with 3M blue foam polishing pad. For home I have Lake Country`s yellow, orange, white, and grey pads. And also have the wool pad that came with my Makita and a blue foam 3M polishing pad for home.

CCS 8.5 inch Foam Pads (http://www.autogeek.net/lc-ccs-8inch-pads.html)

3M Perfect-It Plus Ultrafina Foam Polishing Pad (http://www.autogeek.net/3m-ultrafina-polishing-pad.html)