PDA

View Full Version : purpose of EX Sealant?

Pages : [1] 2

RedLight_Si
11-10-2005, 08:26 PM
I just purchased a bunch of Poorboys products. One of them was the Natty`s Blue. Ive been reading on here and see that alot of people use sealant before they top it with anything. Then I was looking on the Natty`s bottle and noticed that it says to use Poorboy`s Polish w/Carnauba or EX Sealant before use. I was just going to work in the SSRs and then top it with the Nattys. What is the purpose of using these products before the Nattys?

Steve

Brenton
11-10-2005, 08:43 PM
A sealant is longer lasting that wax, so it is used for long lasting protection. The wax on top gives depth.

RedLight_Si
11-10-2005, 08:58 PM
So,the sealant is not easy on/easy off? Its something that has to dry for a period of time? Why do they recommend using the polish?

budman3
11-10-2005, 09:28 PM
The EX is a sealant as said above. It contains Carnauba as does natty`s so they work good with each other. Most of the time sealants give off a different look than paste waxes and offer superior durability. When you top it off with a paste wax you get a more warm look to the paint. The PwC is a chemical polish which also contains carnauba which does the same with EX but less durability, IMO. Technically you would be okay from going to SSR1 to Natty`s but I don`t usually go from polish to a paste wax. I usually go from polish to sealant or PwC (or like cleaner- AIO) to a paste. Just my method of madness.

awd330
11-10-2005, 09:32 PM
It`s all a matter of personal preference. Depending upon the color of the car and the condition of the paint, you may prefer to use different base coats for Natty`s (regular or blue). SSRs, Pro Polish, PwC (regular or blue), EX, and EX-P all have different looks and different levels of protection. Any of them would be suitable for use under Natty`s.

EX and EX-P should be allowed to dry for 45 minutes before wiping off the residue. Wait for at least 24 hours before topping with any carnauba.

Brenton
11-10-2005, 09:54 PM
So,the sealant is not easy on/easy off? Its something that has to dry for a period of time? Why do they recommend using the polish?

It is easy on, easy off. I use the polish because it has some polish quality for rotary buffing. Then I top with Natty`s. I also top sealants when customers will pay because of the depth, but that`s my preference.

CharlesW
11-10-2005, 11:58 PM
While using a sealant prior to the Natty`s would be good, Natty`s applied right after the SSR should result in a great looking finish.
It might not have the durability of a sealant, but it would probably have durability as good as most waxes.
If you apply it every 30-45 days, your vehicle should look terrific all the time.
That`s about as long as I can ever leave things alone anyway, even when using a sealant. :)

Charles

Beercan31
11-11-2005, 08:07 AM
It`s all a matter of personal preference. Depending upon the color of the car and the condition of the paint, you may prefer to use different base coats for Natty`s (regular or blue). SSRs, Pro Polish, PwC (regular or blue), EX, and EX-P all have different looks and different levels of protection. Any of them would be suitable for use under Natty`s.

EX and EX-P should be allowed to dry for 45 minutes before wiping off the residue. Wait for at least 24 hours before topping with any carnauba.

Not to make this more confusing but the curing time has a variable also, Thickness of applied product, temperature, Humidity all have a factor in the curing time.

RedLight_Si
11-11-2005, 11:59 PM
Ok, so they are not easy on/easy off? Im still learning all the terms and such but to me I thought easy on/easy off means that you can apply something and almost immediately buff it out. Is that what it actually means? I have a difficult time working with products that need to dry because (a) im not the most patient person when it comes to things like that (b) I always apply too much so it takes forever to dry,if at all and (c) dont exactly have the most ideal working conditions to let them dry (its starting to get cold where I am at too).

Steve

JeffW
11-12-2005, 07:17 AM
Steve - Sorry in advance for rambling, but everyone else is still asleep and I don`t have anything else I can be doing to my car, so I figured I blab away on the boards.

I`ve used EX, EX-P and Nattys (& Blue) a ton and I`ll tell ya they are all easy on & easy off if you (a) apply thinnly, and (b) allow some time to dry & haze before removing. I tend to apply too thick, so I have more to wipe/buff off, meaning I have to use more MFs during this process.

A good practice, IMO, is to apply 2 coats back to back in order to assure complete coverage. I do 2 coats like this with both sealants and waxes, especially the 1st time I apply the product on the car. Also, when I layer sealants I never wait 24 hours, rather I typically give it 12 to 15 hours than apply another. With Natty`s (& Blue) I don`t apply another layer for about a week (the next weekend).

The 2 tuffest things that I had to adjust to were 2 of the things you mentioned - how long before wiping off, and how dry (ect). The product will seem like it will not completely dry, however, it will haze up on the top after a little while then you can remove. I typically allow about an hour after I finish then wipe off regardless of how hazy or dry it may seem (I used to inspect the surface pretty closely to see how dry the product was and drove myself crazy trying to see how it was drying. Ugh).

For the first few months I absolutley drove myself bonkers being too anal about the details. I worried that this was an exact science and had to do things exactly like this or like that, read and re-read everything, analyzed as much of the dialog in the discussions (I am OC, by the way) etc. In reality there is sooo much room for variance in all the instructions and what everyone says/does that you just have to do it, within reason, however and whenever you can, and the end result will turn out fine. Chill out and just do it...you`ll quickly become comfortable with your own technique and, you too will become an expert detailer like the rest of us :cool: and very pleased with your end result.

Regarding temperature - where I live it is in the 30`s at night and 50`s & 60`s during the day with the sun shinning. Last evening I washed my car (@ ~45 degrees outside), dried it and let it sit while we did dinner, then about 8pm I applied a layer of Nattys and removed it starting ~9:30pm. The car is garaged and I had a little space heater running to take the chill out of the air. I assume the car was about 50 to 55 degrees, but could have been less (I at least didn`t see my breath!). Had no probs with the application or removal processes.

Right now my magnesium metallic honda (daily driver) has EX-P x3 and Natty`s (regular) x3 and it is wonderful ! This combo gives a nice amount of flake popping and the natty`s adds the depth. I`m very pleased, to say the least.

Brenton
11-12-2005, 07:21 AM
Ok, so they are not easy on/easy off? Im still learning all the terms and such but to me I thought easy on/easy off means that you can apply something and almost immediately buff it out. Is that what it actually means? I have a difficult time working with products that need to dry because (a) im not the most patient person when it comes to things like that (b) I always apply too much so it takes forever to dry,if at all and (c) dont exactly have the most ideal working conditions to let them dry (its starting to get cold where I am at too).

Steve

Easy on/easy off is different than Wax on/wax off (WOWO). WOWO is a technique applied by some people to some products, like Pinnacle Souveran or Klasse Sealant Glaze. The easiness is just to say that EX or EX-P goes on easily with a damp foam pad or other applicator, spreads evenly without effort, dries in 30-60 mins, and comes off without a lot of effort or dusting.

Poorboy
11-12-2005, 09:44 AM
ok Jeff, you did ramble, but not too bad:lol

You mentioned some very important points ...

* applying thin even coats

* allowing the products to fully dry

* remembering that everyones variables are different due to air temperature, humidity, heat, sun light, etc...

* two immediate coats is a good practice

* waiting a few days to a week between coats of wax

* adjusting the directions to meet your abilities and process

being OC is not a bad thing, but we do have to remember that for daily drivers some things we do have to live with:yes:

jason(england)
11-12-2005, 11:13 AM
Ive just used the pro polish with carnuaba,toped it with ex sealant applied with sponge went on easy peasy left it for 30 mins again off easy too.
Im trying to load the roof of the van for winter protection and ease of cleaning when possible trying to upkeep roof section with LSP type of cleaning.
Jay. :yes:

RedLight_Si
11-12-2005, 01:11 PM
So Natty`s has to dry? I thought it was like Souveran where you can just buff it off after applying it.

Steve

Poorboy
11-12-2005, 01:27 PM
yes it should dry..it`s not a WOWO product