PDA

View Full Version : Greasy Leather

StiCy
06-24-2009, 07:42 PM
I need to know how to remove the greasy, glossy look from certain parts of the interior. Take a look at this head-rest. The leather part looks matte, but the the fake leather part looks greasy. Its really sticky. I also tried Z1 Deep plastic/vinyl cleaner and it did not take it off. I think I used too much Meguiars Gold Class leather cleaner on it in the past, now it won`t come off.

I have tried chemical guys green clean 3:1, let it dwell and wiped it off. Still won`t come off.

Heres how it looks now:

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/cyconley/Detailing/DSCN5632.jpg

Heres how the leather part looks and how I want the rest to look:

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/cyconley/Detailing/DSCN5635.jpg

HappyWax
06-24-2009, 09:29 PM
I HATE megs gold class leather care. I bought some last week because I had a detail and my order didn`t come in from AG. At any rate, I tried the megs and had the same GREASY problem. The stuff is gross.

Interestingly, I used another megs product to take it off. -APC- 10:1 If you don`t have APC, I recommend dawn or another dish soap with a scotchbrite sponge (green scrubby thing)

I`m sure a million people will chime in on this one.

imported_Ol' Red
06-24-2009, 11:05 PM
Don`t put so much Crisco in your hair? :2thumbs:

Seriously, maybe Purple Power diluted to the proper ratio.

Or Dawn or something mentioned above would be fine.

StiCy
06-25-2009, 04:55 PM
Could I use a Meguiar`s All-Surface Interior Brush on it?

StiCy
06-26-2009, 11:02 PM
OK got some LA`s Awesome apc. Tried different dilutions, starting with 16:1 and working up to 3:1. I would spray it on agitate it, let it sit for 2 minutes, scrub it with the Meguiars brush, and then wipe with a terry towel. After multiple applications it will still not clean off the Meguiars Gold class. Do I need a stronger APC?

specv
06-27-2009, 12:28 AM
actually learned this thru a cadillac owners manual they reccomened ivory soap dropped in a warm bucket of water, sometimes this helps to remove grime grease and old dirt. I used to use lexol leather cleaner a few years back untill I found out it can tare stitching and that it doesnt work that well. Sometimes I have used simple green to remove the grease as well. If all else fails heavy duty harry the homeowner degreasers such as purple power can remove it, I try to avoid anything that acidic though hope this helps.